Best set-up

BayleeWatson07

I am looking to build my 1990 Cummins, for drag strip. It is bone stock, and I have about a $3000 limit. What would be my best route, I was hoping for at least 12's, but if that's not possible then I could settle for less.

1990 what? Standard cab, club-cab, 2wd, 4wd? A727 automatic or manual transmission?

It's my experience that if you're gonna stick with the VE injection pump, you'd win more often if you stick to an 8th mile strip. P-pumps and the like are gonna eat you up in the top of the quarter.

If you're handy with a wrench, you can build most of any custom stuff needed but it's gonna be tough to get into the 12's with only $3k.

But then again, with some hogged-out injectors and a 10lb bottle of nawz you might just make it . . . once or twice.

What is a reasonable 1/4 mile time, with it still being reliable. The truck is a daily driver, I just want it to be pretty fast too.

To be honest with you, you need to decide what's pretty fast for you. Being over 20 years old is gonna complicate keeping it reliable, as a daily driver.

The truck has 208,000 miles on it. I didn't know having a 12 second diesel ruined it's ability to be streetable. Maybe I should stick to the gas burners, cause I know plenty of people that have 11 second cars that they drive everyday.

Take your budget, fix what you can on the truck...leaving $20 or so to buy a case of beer and use it to make friends with someone who has a fast truck.

That is your best bet to be fast and reliable with 3k and any automatic dodge truck. Sorry, not my rule. It is what it is.

Take your budget, fix what you can on the truck...leaving $20 or so to buy a case of beer and use it to make friends with someone who has a fast truck.

That is your best bet to be fast and reliable with 3k and any automatic dodge truck. Sorry, not my rule. It is what it is.
How much do you have in your tranny Brandon?

I thought they a727 was a good trans?
What on earth made you think that?

Alright, I see that this is just a bad idea. No need for the smart-a$$ comments. I said "I could settle for less if that's not possible". But it's over 20 years old, so apparently it's a bad idea to give it some power cause it's so old that it's about to fall apart.

Alright, I see that this is just a bad idea. No need for the smart-a$$ comments. I said "I could settle for less if that's not possible". But it's over 20 years old, so apparently it's a bad idea to give it some power cause it's so old that it's about to fall apart.
Put on your big boy panties, or go away.

Fast, cheap, reliable. Pick two.

Especially with the tranny you have...
His transmission can be built to take a beating from the Cummins. But as most of you may know, a lot of races are won in the 1st 60'. For me, If I'm gonna cut a decent 60', I've got to launch with around 20psig of boost.

I am not a professional drag-racer, but I have busted some transmission **** with 20psi leaving the line. And I'm running the dinky 12mm VE. It's not unexpected to have to invest $5 ~ $10k in a diesel transmission to have something survive that kind of beating and actually be reliable IMO.

It all comes down to "How fast/quick do you want to go?"

For $3k, shop around for a good 2nd Gen trans (47RH) and P-pumped engine. Swap it in. I reckon that would give you the best "Bang" (no pun intended) for your buck. :pop:

How much do you have in your tranny Brandon?

What on earth made you think that?

I heard it was a great transmission, as a matter of fact, I heard it was probably one of the best automatic transmissions that Dodge ever had. Maybe the guy who told me that was just an idiot, idk.

His transmission can be built to take a beating from the Cummins. But as most of you may know, a lot of races are won in the 1st 60'. For me, If I'm gonna cut a decent 60', I've got to launch with around 20psig of boost.
Oh, I know it can be built to take a beating... Your next paragraph was exactly my point. He will be over budget on just a tranny.
I am not a professional drag-racer, but I have busted some transmission **** with 20psi leaving the line. And I'm running the dinky 12mm VE. It's not unexpected to have to invest $5 ~ $10k in a diesel transmission to have something survive that kind of beating and actually be reliable IMO.

Back