Best Torque Converter

jyarber

My stock converter is starting to go out so I am going to go ahead and replace it with an aftermarket one. I might end up getting getting a built tranny one day if I dont get a new truck first. What would be the best converter to go with. I was looking at a couple. Banks, Protorque, BTS, Precision etc... My truck has the TS 6 pos chip with max of 140hp and a turbo back 4inch straight pipe and a AFE stage 2 intake. I use my truck for both work ( pulling ) and like to play on the streets and race a little bit. I have 35inch tires also. My truck is a 2001 4x4 so I have the 4r100 tranny right?

Last edited:
Yep 4R100

My BTS has a Precision convertor....very happy with it :rockwoot:
Once it locks up the power is really being put down. Night and day difference over a stock TC and stock trans. Makes me drive it even harder than I used to :evil :Cheer:

Of course my truck is basically just a big toy at this point......doesn't even get driven daily.....at times has sat for at least a month LOL

DCSpecial said:
Yep 4R100

My BTS has a Precision convertor....very happy with it :rockwoot:
Once it locks up the power is really being put down. Night and day difference over a stock TC and stock trans. Makes me drive it even harder than I used to :evil :Cheer:

Of course my truck is basically just a big toy at this point......doesn't even get driven daily.....at times has sat for at least a month LOL

Yea precision seems to be the one I need to go with because thats what everyone is recommending for me. My truck is daily drivin so I dont want to go to extreme I just need something that can handle that chip better then the stock one. I am also thinking of adding a factory tech valve body when I get it all done. What is the stall on the precision TC? Would it work great for both work ( pulling) and playing on the streets ( haulin ass and burning rubber)? Do I want the triple disc or the single disc converter? Whats the difference? Also what does lockup mean, because it was saying something about lockup at WOT

Last edited:
BFD99 said:
what do you drive everyday?

Ha my truck.

2001 F250 7.3L 4x4. It has 35inch tires. Ts 6 pos chip, AFE stage 2, 4inch turbo back straight pipe.

jyarber said:
Yea precision seems to be the one I need to go with because thats what everyone is recommending for me. My truck is daily drivin so I dont want to go to extreme I just need something that can handle that chip better then the stock one. I am also thinking of adding a factory tech valve body when I get it all done. What is the stall on the precision TC? Would it work great for both work ( pulling) and playing on the streets ( haulin ass and burning rubber)? Do I want the triple disc or the single disc converter? Whats the difference? Also what does lockup mean, because it was saying something about lockup at WOT

For the valve body I'd recommend BTS.

As for the TC question...mine works great for pulling out stuck vehicles, tractors, etc... Also great for playing on the street.
Can't help ya on the stall on the TC. Triple disc has more surface area over the single disc.
Might give Brian and/or Patty a call at BTS to order the valve body and see if you can get a convertor through them as well?

Something to keep in mind when using an aftermarket TC with your stock trans.
The initial torque multiplication of the PI converter in particular is much higher than the stocker. Not to mention a much more positive lock up.
You add that to a stock transmission and start throwing power through it, and another 'weak point' will rear it's head.
My .02 keep the TC matched with the trans. If I were wanting a stock trans to last as long as possible. I would
1 use a triple disk Ford updated unit (which is working well for me right now)
2 Talk to John Faubion or David Lott about a UCC converter with Dodge guts, around $600 and good to 400hp usually.
3 Talk to Suncoast, I know of a couple guys who have had succes getting their stocker to last with a Suncoast converter, and a BD for that matter.

Good luck

Back