better twin setup

chuggins10

ok guys i have two sets of twin and want to know in your opinion which is the best one i have a set of hx35 on top and an hx 60 ont bottom or i have a set of hx 40 on top and bht3 on bottom i have a 160 pump right now and lc dv's with ddp stage 4 i am going to get a set of 191 dv's in it if anybody wants to trade me thanks guys

I would use the 40 and th bht3 it sounds like a better set up. In my opinion if you plan on high boost numbers the 40 will hold up a lot better in the long run.

Like dodge359, I'm still tuning my PDR HX40/BHT3B, and they are working pretty well so far. But I can't seem to make more than about 50 lbs total boost. I'm running DDP4's but with stock DVs in a 215 pump (see sig). Maybe its the cam. I dyno'd at 524 hp the other day - I'm expecting more. I'm also using an external 38mm wastegate with a non-wastgated 14cm housing machined out to handle the 40's turbine wheel.

On the other hand, a friend with a '98 auto (180 pump) has a hx35/40 hybrid with the HX60 as the primary. His secondary is using the stock exhaust housing with internal wastegate. He's running F1 Diesel injectors with 191 DV's I think. He can hit 65 lbs total boost, but at the same dyno event he measured 492 hp. He was expecting over 500. But he's done 13.29 at the track at about 101 mph. He's shooting to get under 13 and I think he will one of these days.

So the difference between our trucks, besides the turbos, are the injectors, the DVs and the pump size, plus I have the PDR stage 1 cam. We are also running about the same timing - 16.5*. He's using a custom grind plate, sort of like a 100 plate, and I'm using a modified #10 (less defueling at the upper revs). Kind of a lot of variables to make a comparison, but maybe this will give you some ideas.

-Jay

Last edited:
Im not worried about dyno #s I want a 12.9 and I would be very happy. I think I'm thier with my single turbo? I choked at the light the one and only time I went to the track and ran a 14.5 at 105? May be you could borrow a set of .22 DVs of full cut ones. It should make a difference.

JGK said:
Like dodge359, I'm still tuning my PDR HX40/BHT3B, and they are working pretty well so far. But I can't seem to make more than about 50 lbs total boost. I'm running DDP4's but with stock DVs in a 215 pump (see sig). Maybe its the cam. I dyno'd at 524 hp the other day - I'm expecting more. I'm also using an external 38mm wastegate with a non-wastgated 14cm housing machined out to handle the 40's turbine wheel.

On the other hand, a friend with a '98 auto (180 pump) has a hx35/40 hybrid with the HX60 as the primary. His secondary is using the stock exhaust housing with internal wastegate. He's running F1 Diesel injectors with 191 DV's I think. He can hit 65 lbs total boost, but at the same dyno event he measured 492 hp. He was expecting over 500. But he's done 13.29 at the track at about 101 mph. He's shooting to get under 13 and I think he will one of these days.

So the difference between our trucks, besides the turbos, are the injectors, the DVs and the pump size, plus I have the PDR stage 1 cam. We are also running about the same timing - 16.5*. He's using a custom grind plate, sort of like a 100 plate, and I'm using a modified #10 (less defueling at the upper revs). Kind of a lot of variables to make a comparison, but maybe this will give you some ideas.

-Jay

Funny u should mention that..

its amazing what a difference a good injector will make, im running a very similar setup to yours, except im runnin Dragon flies, with 16.5 degrees of timing, i have yet to dyno, but i can say that my last dyno was 450 horses at 55 psi with stock DVs and 370s... and i was using a 100 plate.. Question is on my behalf how much difference is an HX 40 over my hx 35, and what difference does teh cam make?

Rick

Rick,

My friend thinks his 36/40 hybrid may be a restriction, but I'm not so sure. I think one possible big difference is that he is using a 14 cm wastegated housing vs. my machined out 14 but with an external 38mm wastegate. I think I can let more exhaust waste around to the primary and mine may be more tunable. He recently enlarged the hole for the gate in his and bored through the web between the 2 halves of the housing so both sides waste, but he hasn't seen much difference so far. His hybid would probably make his setup a little better for towing, but he sees higer EGTs at the upper revs than I do, so maybe mine would tow better. I know my machined out 14 sure makes the 40 spool faster than it did when I ran it alone with a regular gated 16 cm housing. That was obvious even with my well-used 370s.

As to the cam, its hard to say, but I think that may be contributing to the fact that I haven't seen much over 50 lbs total boost so far while he easily hits 65 lbs. But then, his primary is rated to move more air than my 3B, so maybe that's what causes the higher boost pressures. I think the cam certainly helps. I hear now that some guys are resetting their valve lash about .002 tighter to add a bit more lift and duration like a cam would do, but I don't know that you'd see much change doing that. Maybe.

-Jay

Nice set up. Wondering now if the .022s are even needed. Maybe I should of stayed withthe 181s? What kinda temps are you getting with your twins? I have a buddy witht the 35/40 and 3b set up and he is getting some high temps with his 24V. Nice pics Dodge359

JGK said:
Rick,

My friend thinks his 36/40 hybrid may be a restriction, but I'm not so sure. I think one possible big difference is that he is using a 14 cm wastegated housing vs. my machined out 14 but with an external 38mm wastegate. I think I can let more exhaust waste around to the primary and mine may be more tunable. He recently enlarged the hole for the gate in his and bored through the web between the 2 halves of the housing so both sides waste, but he hasn't seen much difference so far. His hybid would probably make his setup a little better for towing, but he sees higer EGTs at the upper revs than I do, so maybe mine would tow better. I know my machined out 14 sure makes the 40 spool faster than it did when I ran it alone with a regular gated 16 cm housing. That was obvious even with my well-used 370s.

As to the cam, its hard to say, but I think that may be contributing to the fact that I haven't seen much over 50 lbs total boost so far while he easily hits 65 lbs. But then, his primary is rated to move more air than my 3B, so maybe that's what causes the higher boost pressures. I think the cam certainly helps. I hear now that some guys are resetting their valve lash about .002 tighter to add a bit more lift and duration like a cam would do, but I don't know that you'd see much change doing that. Maybe.

-Jay

Any ideas where a guy can get a 14cm housing for the 40? Someone sell them machined ready to bolt on? I be needin one..

Brad

I can get 1500 degrees! Thats why I am thinking of going back to the 181s. If I roll into it real nice there is no problems and I run out of gears before I run out of pedal. If a ricer pulls up next to me and I stab it, I bury the pyro by the time I come out of 3rd. It cools quick but still spooks me. If the 181s dont cool it down or kill the power I will go to a 23cm housing and that should cool it right down.

Ridemywideglide,
I was told that the 14cm housings for the 40 are around $400, ouch.

Ridemywideglide said:
Any ideas where a guy can get a 14cm housing for the 40? Someone sell them machined ready to bolt on? I be needin one..

Brad
I bought mine from IdahoCTD, who got the housing and had someone machine it. Don't remember how much it was, but as I remember it was an expense. $400 seems a little high, but I don't remember exactly since its been a while. If you're serious, either you or I can contact Nathan and find out the latest quote.

-Jay

Jay,
Your truck sounded good at the dyno event, and put down some good #'s. Here is a pic of your compound setup sorry the pic is blurry.

100_1733.jpg

Justin

Hey! That looks familiar! Hopefully I'll get some time to twiddle with it over the winter and get some better numbers at the usual spring event.

-Jay

Good deal I hope to have my compounds on before the May dyno event see ya there!

Justin