Big RPM with cast cams

Hamilton Cams

ignorant
I have been asked quite a lot recently about spinning big rpm with cast cams on p-pump trucks. Apparently some people are spreading rumors that a cast cam can not be run at high rpm.

We spent a lot of time in the design phase of our cores to address all of the issues that typically cause cams to fail. Other cams may or may not like big rpms with big p-pumps, but ours want to be spun hard, that is what they were designed to do. I have customers that leave the line at 6,000+ with big grinds, crazy spring pressure and large 13mm pumps. To date, I have not had a single call about a cam failure or a cam breaking. Spin the big R's with confidence with your Hamilton cast billet.

Zach Hamilton

If there's one thing I know about Zach it's that he's an RPM freak and you can take his word on his stuff not failing at high RPM.

Where have these rumors started? That's the first I've heard about it.

some people say im crazy, but i've seen these motors take alot, and with the Hamilton drive train components i am running, i feel confident leaving the line at 5k and turning up to 4600 down the track if its that loose.

most guys cringe when i tell them that my bottom end and rotating assembly are stock, but im not scared. if it blows, it gets rebuilt better than stock anyway

I left the line at over 5k every pull this year. Zach, you will be getting a call from me about a big grind this winter.

some people say im crazy, but i've seen these motors take alot, and with the Hamilton drive train components i am running, i feel confident leaving the line at 5k and turning up to 4600 down the track if its that loose.

most guys cringe when i tell them that my bottom end and rotating assembly are stock, but im not scared. if it blows, it gets rebuilt better than stock anyway

I'd say if it has a good balancer and a retainer on the cam spin it, I use to question this in my head till I actually got to see just how close the balance was on the rotating assy, 9 grams difference in the rods......that weight as much as a bar bell......and the crank was almost perfect!

Jim

so jim from the factory they balance the bottom ends to almost zero? that gives me a little better confidence.

They don't have to have bushings installed in every journal, but if you have a profile that has enough lift to get much over 400lbs at the nose while at high rpm and for extended durations I would use them, and zinc, for insurance. If you have crazy nose pressure, a lot of duration, and spin the big rpm, the cam will take it but the oil film between the block and the cam might not. You are multiplying the force on the cam but not doing anything for the oiling on the journals. In this instance bushings provide extra insurance. Jim, you are right for as heavy as the components are they are fairly tight. If you think of it as a percent of error in relation to the total mass of the component it is minimal. Factor the same margin of error for a small block and percent wise they will be more out of balance.

Zach

Back