Billet 66??

Ripcurl29350

For the past few weeks i have been researching billet turbos and have found some info, but I still have a few questions... My truck is a DD and tows very little, but as in the sig it's lifted and on 37" tires which I think will make it harder to spool a turbo. I know that the answer is probably going to be to do compounds, but I like the simplicity of a single turbo. I have read that the billet turbos are supposed to spool faster and move more air than a cast wheel. So I guess I would just like to know more about spooling a turbo on a truck with larger tires e.g. 37"? I would also like to know more about the streetabiltiy of a billet 66 compared to say a Silver bullet 66? This won't be happening for awhile, because I gotta get a built tranny first, but I was thinking about a billet 66 with 120's and an 85% or 120% over pump for fuel and air after all the supporting mods (studs,springs,pushrods) does that sound streetable to you guys or am I way off track here and need to go another direction?

you tc stall will have a HUGE roll in the spool, too tight and it will lag really bad

I got a paddle in my truck, so this may not help. I am also running 37's with a 66 and love it. Mine is the silver bullet though...

Alright thanks for the help guys. I think that when I have the trans built this fall I will go with a little looser converter to help spool up, but I'm pretty sure this will be the setup I go with.

The term "billet" refers to the construction of the wheel, where a billet of some type of alloy is milled into a compressor wheel. Manufacturers now have the ability to be more aggressive with the design of the wheel due to the added strength of the material. There are small tweaks you can do to the design to get it to spool better, but the main reason billet turbos spool better is because you can move the same amount of air with a smaller wheel. I have seen data showing a "billet" 62 make just as much power as a cast 67. The 62 is much smaller so it will spool up better. There are a lot of "billet" turbos out there and not all of them actually redesign the wheel before they mill it. When you buy, make sure that the design is original and not just a billet copy of a cast wheel. I also recommend ball bearings. That will really help your cause. There is much less bearing drag in ball bearing turbos and they tend to last longer over time. The downside is they cost more money due to the newer technology.

Yea a ball bearing turbo would be nice, but I don't know where to look for one. The only place I have really found anything about them is at forced induction. I also don't know a whole lot about garretts I know a little about borgs but I'm by no means a turbo expert nor claim to be, but I'm always trying to learn more. What would a good ball bearing turbo be in the 66mm range for a single by Garrett? And who else makes ball bearing turbos besides Garrett?

what do u get for boost with yours . im at 45ish with my mods

I'm still on a stocker that makes 38 psi no 66 yet, but I would think you should get more than 45... What do you have for injectors? I would think that you should be able to get 55-58psi out of a 66 maybe more depending on the efficency range, but I have also heard that boost is just a measure of restriction what really matters is how many CFM your moving. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that

I think something equivalent in a garrett would be a gt4202. I'm not really sure on that maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong. The thing with those are non gated housing and t-4 foot. I'm running a 4094 on my truck, moves about the same amount of air as a super b special 81lbs/min, on 35s and 70hp nozzles. Spools quick but will surge at 25-30 psi if I'm not above 2k rpm. I have a stick so I can control rpms and keep it out of the surge. I would not recommend this setup with an auto.

Yea a ball bearing turbo would be nice, but I don't know where to look for one. The only place I have really found anything about them is at forced induction. I also don't know a whole lot about garretts I know a little about borgs but I'm by no means a turbo expert nor claim to be, but I'm always trying to learn more. What would a good ball bearing turbo be in the 66mm range for a single by Garrett? And who else makes ball bearing turbos besides Garrett?

What is your timeline on upgrading your turbo? We (Precision Turbo) have not pursued the street truck market yet and do not have anything that size that has been tested for street applications on a diesel truck. So far we have focused on 3.0 and 2.6 competition trucks and gasser applications. I plan on trying a few combinations out on my personal truck (06 Dodge) to see what works well. I have seen dyno results of over 700hp to the wheels out of our 6265 on gassers. We want to make sure a charger is going to work for each application before we sell it. All our stuff is dual ceramic ball bearing with billet wheels engineered for competition. I will keep you posted on my progress, but have to finish rebuilding my garage first. If time is an issue, Garrett makes a good turbo. We were a Garrett distributor for 20 years before we started manufacturing our own turbos.

What is your timeline on upgrading your turbo? We (Precision Turbo) have not pursued the street truck market yet and do not have anything that size that has been tested for street applications on a diesel truck. So far we have focused on 3.0 and 2.6 competition trucks and gasser applications. I plan on trying a few combinations out on my personal truck (06 Dodge) to see what works well. I have seen dyno results of over 700hp to the wheels out of our 6265 on gassers. We want to make sure a charger is going to work for each application before we sell it. All our stuff is dual ceramic ball bearing with billet wheels engineered for competition. I will keep you posted on my progress, but have to finish rebuilding my garage first. If time is an issue, Garrett makes a good turbo. We were a Garrett distributor for 20 years before we started manufacturing our own turbos.
Are your bb rebuildable?

For the past few weeks i have been researching billet turbos and have found some info, but I still have a few questions... My truck is a DD and tows very little, but as in the sig it's lifted and on 37" tires which I think will make it harder to spool a turbo. I know that the answer is probably going to be to do compounds, but I like the simplicity of a single turbo. I have read that the billet turbos are supposed to spool faster and move more air than a cast wheel. So I guess I would just like to know more about spooling a turbo on a truck with larger tires e.g. 37"? I would also like to know more about the streetabiltiy of a billet 66 compared to say a Silver bullet 66?This won't be happening for awhile, because I gotta get a built tranny first, but I was thinking about a billet 66 with 120's and an 85% or 120% over pump for fuel and air after all the supporting mods (studs,springs,pushrods)does that sound streetable to you guys or am I way off track here and need to go another direction?

i've ran both, had a sb 66 on my truck for 2 day before i decided to do something different, was not streetable at all super laggy/smokey, then i got the fleece billet 66 night and day difference, very streetable for a daily driver, call fleece performance and talk to caleb 765.676.5063, he can get you hooked up

should be a good setup, i have 85% cp3 with 180's & daily drive it with no issues

Last edited:
Thanks for the replys guys. My time line for turbo and injectors will most likely not be till next spring unless something goes before then. Great info srt6 I will look in to fleece, but those are some big nozzles compared to 120's I wonder how it would do with a liltle smaller nozzels and a little more tuning. I look forwad to hearing back from you chucknores about those turbos sounds interesting ball bearings and billet wheels would be sick!!

Thanks for the replys guys. My time line for turbo and injectors will most likely not be till next spring unless something goes before then. Great info srt6 I will look in to fleece, but those are some big nozzles compared to 120's I wonder how it would do with a liltle smaller nozzels and a little more tuning. I look forwad to hearing back from you chucknores about those turbos sounds interesting ball bearings and billet wheels would be sick!!

fleece has tested their billet 66 on a stock fueled cummins and it still spooled like stock, caleb can fill u in on all the details

Wow a 66 spooling like stock on a stock fuel system that's impressive. I haven't called fleece just because this won't be happening for awhile and I don't wanna waste there time just asking questions until I'm ready to buy. Just trying to put together as much info as I can before I go out and spend a bunch off money only to have some laggy turbo that I hate. I have been doing a little research on garretts lately and have been looking into the GTX4294R and if I'm reading the comp map right it's supposed to move somewhere close to 95 lbs/min which is a little more than a super b. Does anyone else know more about this turbo and what kinda power it's good for the website says 900, but is that for gassers? And also have and of you guys ever run the GTX wheel compared to a GT wheel on any of other turbos they offer?

Are your bb rebuildable?

Yes. The ceramic bearings are new technology compared to journal bearings and will cost more if we have to replace them. They are very durable so you have to do some serious damage to your charger to destroy the bearings.

Back