Block Heater / Oil Questions

n8ick

Electron Pimp
Im planning on buyin a 97 dodge that is coming up from Florida.

My first question is, how hard is it to get to the freeze plugs to install a block heater?

Also, what is the coldest temperature a 12V will reliably start at? Lets assume Rotella 15W40 for oil. Anybody have any luck with 5W40 synthetic? I know it works great in my diesel ranger but dont't know if it would make a difference in the 12V.

I also live in an apartment (and probably wont buy a house for a year or 2) with no electrical outlets outside so plugging the truck in will be for really cold weather only since I would have to run an extension cord out my bedroom window.

Any help would be appreciated.

I am pretty sure all dodges had block heaters from the factory. As far as starting, 12vs are to hard to start in cold weather.

12v hard to start in the winter? Mine starts right up without being plugged in at 0*. Below that I like to plug it in though...

I live in Idaho, my 98.5 12valve starts just find down to the low teens. I like to keep it plugged in below that and my little boy can start in even when it's 20 below if it's plugged in. If I need to sit somewhere all day (like snowmobiling) I just run it through two warm ups and keep good batteries and I too have never been disappointed in 250k miles.

n8ick said:
Im planning on buyin a 97 dodge that is coming up from Florida.

My first question is, how hard is it to get to the freeze plugs to install a block heater?

Also, what is the coldest temperature a 12V will reliably start at? Lets assume Rotella 15W40 for oil. Anybody have any luck with 5W40 synthetic? I know it works great in my diesel ranger but dont't know if it would make a difference in the 12V.

I also live in an apartment (and probably wont buy a house for a year or 2) with no electrical outlets outside so plugging the truck in will be for really cold weather only since I would have to run an extension cord out my bedroom window.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dodges come factory with block heater, I use 15W40 oil, plugging it in does seem to help start it a lot easier than w/o. wouldnt worry about not plugging it in though...

buy the 12v!! haha

you could always get a espar diesel fired heater but you really shouldnt worry about it it will start up no problem even when its real cold