Blowing Gaskets

99Binder

To all those who have Blown headgaskets, well last night we got the truck running, and have some good healthy fuel pressure and the wiring all fixed up for the FASS. So we warmed up the truck and took off for a test beat. Wot on economy felt pretty good the hot setting felt better (Mind you these tunes were originally built for a stock turbo's truck). While running the hot setting we did a 50-80 mph wot pass when it shifted into OD we heard a dissapointing pop and spraying noise, as of now I just think all we did was pop a head gasket. More information coming soon. Mod are .012 EDM'd BD's donkey pump, headstudds and a Turbonetics T70. -Wyatt

Your setup is similar to mine..... My pcm cutting out at wot was what caused mine to pop. Going back with cometics in the new engine.

99Binder said:
To all those who have Blown headgaskets, well last night we got the truck running, and have some good healthy fuel pressure and the wiring all fixed up for the FASS. So we warmed up the truck and took off for a test beat. Wot on economy felt pretty good the hot setting felt better (Mind you these tunes were originally built for a stock turbo's truck). While running the hot setting we did a 50-80 mph wot pass when it shifted into OD we heard a dissapointing pop and spraying noise, as of now I just think all we did was pop a head gasket. More information coming soon. Mod are .012 EDM'd BD's donkey pump, headstudds and a Turbonetics T70. -Wyatt

Wyatt

Might be a good time to get that motor build started.....sometimes blown headgaskets mean bent rods.

luke why was your PCM cutting out? Yeah i think were goign to go with a new motor, should be pulling the motor on sunday and well see what shows up

99Binder said:
luke why was your PCM cutting out? Yeah i think were goign to go with a new motor, should be pulling the motor on sunday and well see what shows up

dont know- started swapping electronics into my other truck (stock 97) to start eliminating stuff and started having problems with it after swapping the pcm. Swapped good pcm back into the 97 and no more cutting out, threw bad pcm in trash and problem solved.

99Binder,I feel for you I blew two on mine and now am going to Fire rings to try and eliminate the problem.As bigr asked.What heads are you running and are using stock head gaskets?

Luke,I thought you had fire rings?

DI H 11 studs. torqued to 120 IIRC. it was only doing 30 or so pounds of boost, and this was the file that ran 13.48 at 99, Brian has run the truck before its not a very hot file, it was built for a stock turbo on BD's. When jody was hear to tune trucks it blew the converter on the superflow, so it never got any hot files put in it.

did you ever do a retorque? when i put h-11's in last month the suckers made almost half a turn at retorque. and it was the studs underneath the valve cover that moved the most. retorque is key i think. maybe even a couple. i will be doing it again soon. but i have fire rings.

Thanks for the heads up mike, when you retorqued did you use 120 again?

UM.....stupid suggestion....but did you happen to check the intercooler boots? OR did you find a masive amt of coolant and/or oil leaking out of the head/block area?

no i wish, We popped the hood tehre was coolant all over the engine compartment and coolant rolling out of the uppipes

99Binder said:
no i wish, We popped the hood tehre was coolant all over the engine compartment and coolant rolling out of the uppipes

UM...yeah....think you got other issues......:kick: