blowing off exhaust pipes

04 hotrod

sponsored by mastercard
hey i am wondering if anyone has had the problems i am having.

i have a 04 with the 6.0l and everything was fine but i recently did a cam and injectrors and now i keep streching the flexpipes and blowing them apart. this is on the pipes between the exhaust manafolds and the turbo. wtf is going on. i just blew out set #3 in 2 weeks :bang

has anyone had this problem if so what did you do to fix it.

sounds like you have a LOT of drive pressure. I would say maybe try an aftermarket set that dont have the bellows in them(not sure who makes them, but I have heard of them), but once that is fixed, your turbo might be the next thing to go, assuming your running a stock turbo...

i will have to find a set of after market pipes but the turbo is a silver bullit 66 80 and i also opened the exhaust up to a 4 1/2 inch front to back

Ok...just from reading your other 3 or 4 threads...it sounds like your turbo is laggy, and it has enough drive pressure to blow the up-pipes apart.

You, my friend, have a poorly sized turbo for what you are running for a combination. (225's with a 67mm turbo????)

The only way to fix your problem is to add a waste gate to protect the up-pipes...or add a drive pressure gauge, and start telling your tuner to pull more fuel out of it.

If you go with a smaller exhaust housing, you will have quicker response, but without a waste gate...you aren't gonna be happy with the results.

Ok...just from reading your other 3 or 4 threads...it sounds like your turbo is laggy, and it has enough drive pressure to blow the up-pipes apart.

You, my friend, have a poorly sized turbo for what you are running for a combination. (225's with a 67mm turbo????)

The only way to fix your problem is to add a waste gate to protect the up-pipes...or add a drive pressure gauge, and start telling your tuner to pull more fuel out of it.

If you go with a smaller exhaust housing, you will have quicker response, but without a waste gate...you aren't gonna be happy with the results.

do you think itll keep blowing them off with a smaller housing?

This is the same bone head running 340's and a 66. Why does everyone believe this guys tall tales? He has already changed his name once he was doomsdaydiesel

This is the same bone head running 340's and a 66. Why does everyone believe this guys tall tales? He has already changed his name once he was doomsdaydiesel

people believe me because it is happening. ford made there flex pipe out of thin tin and it just lets go.

do you think i just look at things and make things up?

Last edited:
hey i am wondering if anyone has had the problems i am having.

i have a 04 with the 6.0l and everything was fine but i recently did a cam and injectrors and now i keep streching the flexpipes and blowing them apart. this is on the pipes between the exhaust manafolds and the turbo. wtf is going on. i just blew out set #3 in 2 weeks :bang

has anyone had this problem if so what did you do to fix it.

I think it maybe a cam install issue. I have done a few of them with the motor in the truck and a couple where I pulled the motor. For whatever reason I have had issues with the up-pipes on the trucks that I didn't pull the motor. Did you pull the motor when you swapped the cam or did you do it with the motor in the truck? That may be your problem.

I think it maybe a cam install issue. I have done a few of them with the motor in the truck and a couple where I pulled the motor. For whatever reason I have had issues with the up-pipes on the trucks that I didn't pull the motor. Did you pull the motor when you swapped the cam or did you do it with the motor in the truck? That may be your problem.

How in the hell did you swap cams with the engine in the truck?

Lift the entire truck body off, along with the transmission?:doh:

Damn, I wish I had your shop Jeremy.:Cheer:

Why don't you go ahead and list all of your current modifications.

Also, what egt's are you seeing?

What boost pressures are you seeing?

Are you running a II's 66/74/80 or which exact turbo?

i pulled the engine and the reason i pulled it is because you are supposed to drop the crank because in the ford instructions it clames that the peace that bolts on the back of the crank that the seal sits against is ballanced and if it is removed it could put the crank out of ballance causing damage. plus it is times on the rear of the engine and i didnt want to drop the transmission.

the truck has a silver bullit 66 80, banks monster duel exhaust, banks techni cooler air to air, stage 1 elite cam, 255cc elite injectors, 2 stage 200hp nitrous, afe cold air intake, napc heavy hauler transmission, and track bars