Blown Carrier Bearing after 3 pulls.

Pangela

Not here.
Yup lol, I had a brand new one put in about a month ago.
The truck had run 3 pulls and the original bearing that was on
the truck, when I got it... headed south.

So about a month ago, I put a new one on it. Since then, I've
hooked 3 times, the most recent being last night. Today, discovered
the "new" carrier bearing hit the fan again.

This isn't gonna work lol. I'll be reassessing the situation.
grr.

get rid of your carrier bearing and go with a one piece drive shaft, alot of shops will give you crap about making one that long but can be done and will drive fine on the road if you have any problems getting one let me know.

Zach

P.S. Your Avatar is great!

up grade every thing to heavyer duty maybe your drive line is bent also have you had it checked out?

Yeah I'm going to have it looked at, he's in the shop right now for an oil pressure issue... Ken's gonna look at that too, maybe give me some advice on it or who can do it up right for me.

Do the single shaft's have any issues? He is my daily driver and it is a long box. I'm new to all this, so not sure how that would work.

my 2 cents would leave me to believe you have a bad joint possibly, which should be checked out. i'm by no means a rocket scientist ,but something else must be causing this issue. also alot of things are no longer made in GOOD OLE' AMERICA, and just can't live up to our standards.

isn't it possible that the sled pulling is causing the continual broken bearings? I mean... it can't be easy on those things, right? Or should it really be holding. I mean, I am pulling a giant sled down a track lol.

mine has never gone out on me but i also upgraded after my second year

No traction bars. It's at Ken Imlers shop in Sacramento and he's good, so he's taking a look at that tomorrow!

Without bars, the rear axle will wrap. When it wraps, the tires actually go toward the front of the truck which pushes the carrier bearing forward pushing it apart. As the axle wraps it also puts the u - joint in a terrible angle which will blow out the pinion on a 70.

Put some bars on it, the rear will thank you.

Pangela said:
No traction bars. It's at Ken Imlers shop in Sacramento and he's good, so he's taking a look at that tomorrow!

I'd say they would help a great deal, get on the dyno and watch that rear end move around it's not a pretty site! Yea, I've spent a few dollars with Ken, if you would tell him and the guys Jeff Dixon says hi!

Agreed on the bars...the driveshaft slip yoke could possibly (extreme case) be bottoming out on the splines and jarring the carrier bearing.

Jess@FarmboyFab said:
Agreed on the bars...the driveshaft slip yoke could possibly (extreme case) be bottoming out on the splines and jarring the carrier bearing.

It really pains me to say this... and I can't believe I'm going to do this, because of my personal feelings toward specific brands, but....

[takes big breath]

I lah-lah-lah-lah... I like your truck. Whew there, said it. I need a shower now.

satburn said:
It really pains me to say this... and I can't believe I'm going to do this, because of my personal feelings toward specific brands, but....

[takes big breath]

I lah-lah-lah-lah... I like your truck. Whew there, said it. I need a shower now.

Who's truck are you saying you like? Jess's or mine lol

I was referencing Jess'. Your truck is nice too, both of our trucks share similar traits, yours appears to be a bit different shade of green than mine though. You're kickin' it old school like me with a 12v so it's all good!

Last edited:
Ok, I figured you were talking about his lol. Mine is nothing to write home about at all.

As long as you like it, to hell with anybody else's opinion. For your situation though, I agree ladder that thing up and keep your pinion angle stationary. If you're getting some wheel hop during your pulls, a ladder may help with that. There are different schools of thought on short vs. long ladders, research the advantages of both and you decide.

I don't hop. Or haven't yet that I'm aware of lol. I'm still new to this. I've hooked 5 times. So far everything feels solid as hell, and I don't notice the carrier bearing til about noon the next day. And no... I'm not drunk up until that point lol.

And yes, I do love my truck. Getting in and starting him up still makes me grin.

Ladders... ? Sorry, I'm still new at all this. Are 'ladders' different then the traction bars? Traction bars run parallel to the drive line, right?

How do traction bars affect a daily driver and what do they run as far as cost?

I see people interchanging ladder bars for tractor bars all the time. They both essentially accomplish the same thing, it's just the leverage point is different. Now this is my opinion, but to me a traction bar leverages against your leaf spring pack to keep the rear end square. More torque you put on the rear, the more it leverages against your leafs to keep it square. A ladder bar goes from the rear end up to a point on the frame. It does the same thing, but leverages against your frame instead of the leafs to keep your rear end sitting square. Ladders come in different flavors and mounting methods. The simplest is the single bar mounted to the bottom u-bolts under the rear axle housing. This is the kind that I made, it works for me, is it the best? Probably not, but it works for me, hasn't failed as of yet and I've abused the crap out of it. There are also the kind that resemble a 4 link setup, uses two bars on each side, one above the rear, one below both form a triangle and mount to a common point on the frame. This type is more "sturdier" since it divides the load among the bars, bottom bar receives a push and the top bar receives a pull.

Several companies offer both bolt on and weld on kits of both styles, I don't have a cost since I built mine myself. Used two top links off a three point tractor hitch, some tubing from a friend and some 1/4 plate remnants from a metal shop. I don't have a lot in it.

After I put them on the first thing I noticed was an improvement in ride quality, less bouncy in the rear. Second was shifting. With my dual disc in and my improved power anything less than a perfect shift resulted in my driveline telling me exactly where all the slop was. Ladders got rid of that and the only slop is the backlash in the rear end. I like them.

Last edited:
Jeez lol, that was comprehensive... I'll see what Ken says tomorrow after he looks at everything under there and see what he suggests. Thanks for the input though. Something to consider, for sure!