boiling battery

2000_fummins

jack of all master of few
I noticed this nasty smell the other day, opened the hood and the acid was coming out of the passenger side battery. Drives side all is good so I just replaced the battery. Drove it around a little an it started doing it again. With that battery hooked up the truck also wouldn't charge correctly, it would ither be at 15 volts or right around 10 when driving. I'm taking those readings from the dash. Yet if I leave passenger battery undone all is well. Anyone ever have a crazy issue like this? The truck is under warranty so I droped it off. Guy at spe told me its ither the battery (witch I changed), alternator , or ecm.

Clean all connections on all the cables and the batteries. If any of the bolts are rusty on the terminals, replace them. I had the exact same problem last Spring and this was the cure. Good luck!

Clean all connections on all the cables and the batteries. If any of the bolts are rusty on the terminals, replace them. I had the exact same problem last Spring and this was the cure. Good luck!

Thanks for that. Just trying to get an idea an make shore the dealership ant touching things that don't need touching. I don't trust them. Spe also told me its a good idea to ground the signal wire witch I'm going to do to.

You should always replace them in pairs. If one is weak and the other is weaker or better then it will over or under charge the opposite.

I had this happen to me this weekend. I bought two new batteries and a new crossover cable. Hoping this fixes the problem. I haven't gotten a chance to take the meter to the new batteries to make sure they are charging equally or drive the truck to see if it's fixed. Luckily I made it home before the truck died completely.

Sent from My phone while the Boss wasn't looking.

Last edited:
You should always replace them in pairs. If one is weak and the other is weaker or better then it will over or under charge the opposite.

this..

while you are at it, wouldn't hurt to check your alternator either,

So I found the issue. The cable that connects both batteries broke. So that's why I was getting the low volts and boiling the passenger battery. Ecm was telling it to keep charging.

Maybe get in touch with Syrupdawg on here. I bet he could help you out with your battery problem.

So I found the issue. The cable that connects both batteries broke. So that's why I was getting the low volts and boiling the passenger battery. Ecm was telling it to keep charging.

Good to here you found the issue. I inspected mine and it looked fine, but I replaced it anyway. I'm just hoping I had a bad connection or possibly the driver's side battery had a dead cell or something.

Sent from My phone while the Boss wasn't looking.