bolts keep backing out

dangerous06

diesel tech
I've got a problem with the allen bolts holding on my S.S. exhuast manifold.
Now I know why cummins used those spacers! Just wanted to dress it up some and now they keep coming out and after retightening them the gasket usually leaks which is BAD! Is there a locktight made for hi temps or should I use a lock washer or??

ddi you put any never seize on them?? I used that and one lock washer on each and have yet to have one back out

Stage 8 bolts? Didn't use anti seize thought that would make it back out faster. Gonna try the lock washers! I thought red locktite would melt out. We'll see !

Stage 8 bolts? Didn't use anti seize thought that would make it back out faster. Gonna try the lock washers! I thought red locktite would melt out. We'll see !

you want to use anti-seize so you can get the correct torque on the bolt. if you overtighten it it will work loose faster since it can not expand and contract with the heat cycles.

Are you able to get enough torque on an allen head bolt?

I always use spacers on aftermarket manifolds. usually can't fit them on the bottom two. I use lock-washers on those two.

thats why they come loose

They work loose cause they are overtorqued and dont have any room to expand or contract. My bolts have been installed for over two years now. anti-seize and a lock washer and they have yet to work loose.

They work loose cause they are overtorqued and dont have any room to expand or contract. My bolts have been installed for over two years now. anti-seize and a lock washer and they have yet to work loose.

Thats the point of the spacers.

I had mine loosen up once but I chalked it up to being new bolts and new manifold and everything lossening up from heat cycles and what not so I tightened them back down and haven't had any issues since. Lock washers and anti-seize here.

In order to use the spacers you'd have to go and buy new bolts cause the one's that come with the ss manifold won't work.

Back