Boost and EGT help

Symon623

Cummins Newb
OK, So I have an 02 auto truck, Edge juice with attitude, Banks 4" monster exhaust and a Airaid cold air intake. I am curious;

What kind of boost should I be seein?
Stock:
Level 1: I get 18
Level 2: I get 20
Level 5: I peak at 24 but after shifts it's erratic

Also;
I don't really see much smoke on any level. I have a Carter replacement LP (I know) The FP stays above 5 accept if I romp it on level 5 it drops to 3 and boost is real erratic (17-24) on level 5, EGT's are over 1300 and little to no smoke.

Sorry for teh newbie questions but I've searched and searched and come up with nothing.

Also I have P codes;

P0216; IP timing
P0237; Low voltage from teh MAP sensor.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You are starving the VP for fuel it sounds like, I would NOT be romping on it much more until you do something to get a better supply of fuel to the VP. Boost level and fuel all work together, more fuel=more boost, more boost=more fuel, so until you get all the fuel the VP is going to deliver to the engine your boost levels will stay lower than you think they should be.

Make sense?

Kinda as long as your thinkin the way teh ecu and Edge think? :D

I have an aftermarket fuel delivery system going in this w/e along with a new VP44 on order just in case.

Thanks for the response

Your VP will be veeeery happy with you when you do so, right now it's crying! LOL

How can I tell what turbo I have on my truck?

Also any sources for a MAP sensor?

Thanks

'02 Auto would have a hy35. A j-hook or turnbuckle is the usual means for getting more boost out of it once you get your fueling issues resolved.

Thanks Ph4tty. Will do. wanna resolve one issue at a time to see what makes the biggest difference.

I borrowed a friends code scanner and read the codes and sure enough, 0237 and 0216, cleared them out and no more codes and they dodn't come back this morning after my ride to work.

I think the 0237 MAP Low E code came from when I installed the Edge and I ran the engine to clear out the chips from teh EGT drill and tap and the MAP wasn't hooked up??????

Hopefully good to go now.

Gonne play around with the wastegate now to get the boost up around 30 then we'll see how the EGT's are.

OK, so for a $1.48 from teh Home Depot I bought a turnbuckle and installed it, test drove and now the boost is 25 on level 1 with no load and 29 on level 5 with no load. also the egt's on level 5 are barely 1200 where before I would be over 1300 and the alarm was goin crazy. EGT's on level 1 are under 1000 where before it was close to 1200. will re-update after a tow test in a couple of weeks.

Also it was 98° yesterday which I know has an effect on the EGT's.

my truck always has the p0216 code. even after i clear it it comes right back when i start the truck. it does not pop the light, just saves to history codes. i have come to find out it is because i use a downloader. when i took the smarty off the code did not come back till i turned the smarty back on. the smarty even says "normal for non-stock software". the map code you had is definitly because your map was unplugged. when the weather is cold i will see boost as high as 40, when hot it wont get above 30. egt's climb crazy high crazy fast when its hot.

i have an 01 highest boost i have seen is 31 on the edge sled pulling

OK, so for a $1.48 from teh Home Depot I bought a turnbuckle and installed it, test drove and now the boost is 25 on level 1 with no load and 29 on level 5 with no load. also the egt's on level 5 are barely 1200 where before I would be over 1300 and the alarm was goin crazy. EGT's on level 1 are under 1000 where before it was close to 1200. will re-update after a tow test in a couple of weeks.

Thats great. You're seeing more boost and its bringing the temps down. If you push that turbo much farther its going to start blowing hot air, but it sounds perfect the way you've got it now.

Thats great. You're seeing more boost and its bringing the temps down. If you push that turbo much farther its going to start blowing hot air, but it sounds perfect the way you've got it now.

yep, leavin it alone for a while. thanks for all the help.