Boost elbow installed, but no pressure increase

loganp

hot rod farmboy
My dad has an 02 24 valve HO, 6 speed, 4" exhaust, and a Superchips Flashpaq on the 75hp setting. I put a boost elbow on it, tuned it with regulated shop air so the wastegate would open at 30psi, but it still won't push more than the 21-22psi which it did stock and now he has more fuel. On my 12 valve just sliding the fuel plate forward and adding a boost elbow took me from 15 to 25 psi, so on these electronic engines do I need to turn up the programmer another level for more fuel or do something else to the computer?

when you say opened at 30 psi, do you mean it started to open at 30 psi? or was it all the way open at 30psi?

Maybe I am completely work, but I thought a boost elbow was used the AFC on a p-pump to make the fuel rack to begin fueling with less manifold pressure.

If I am correct, a boost elbow won't do a damn thing. The fueling from the VP44 is based on a manifold pressure sensor that controls the amount of fuel VP puts out. To achieve more fueling with less manifold pressure you will need some kind of boost fooling. A programmer or tuner that will trick the computer into thinking there is more manifold pressure than there really is. That way your VP will over fuel at lower manifold pressure.

You can still adjust the length of travel of your waste gate actuator on your VP truck so it limits the waste gate opening.

i don't believe the superchips is boost fooling.....which would be your problem

i know that every truck is different, but mine stock with a superchip would hit 30ish psi and throw an overboost code. may have a dirty or bad MAP sensor. ive seen a few that were bad but would not throw a code.

Could be many things. Is the Superchips giving enough fuel to produce more than 22 psi?
Boost leak?
There's no reason to tamper with the wastegate at this level. These HX35s will handle a lot more. Disconnect, or pinch off line going to wastegate and drive the truck. That will tell you a lot.

Disconnect, or pinch off line going to wastegate and drive the truck. That will tell you a lot.

Wouldn't that be considered tampering with the waste gate? J.P.

To the OP, if your going to disconnect the waste gate all together, make sure you get a pipe plug to put in the compressor housing.

i know that every truck is different, but mine stock with a superchip would hit 30ish psi and throw an overboost code. may have a dirty or bad MAP sensor. ive seen a few that were bad but would not throw a code.

If it spit out an overboost code then that confirms it does not block the map sensor out (Solution to OP as well).

So all you will need is to buy a boost fooler to run with you superchips and it will make more psi without a code. http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/p-3853-bd-electronic-boost-fooler-985-02-59l-dodge-cummins-1515931-1515932-1515933.aspx Like that but make sure you buy the right year since the map plugs are triangle or oval

No over boost codes, no MAP codes, and I set it so the WG starts to open at 29-30psi and is fully open by 32psi. As for fueling, I thought a 75hp tune would be enough more fuel to make at least a few more pounds of boost, but I don't know if the computer needs a boost fooler to let it fuel harder to make the boost. I kind of thought a programmer would reset that parameter in the ECM. I generally stick to my dinosaurs, I don't know much about turning up this electronic stuff haha

if the superchips does not boost fool and the truck does not have a boost fooler the ecm will defuel at 22psi.

My truck will pull a little over 25psi with the waste gate blocked and a bully dog torque dog on the high setting. All its supost to be is a timeing box. No added fueling.

You can't get much more than 65 hp out of a programmer for vp trucks. Personally I'd ditch the superchips for at least a smarty or better yet wire tap box.