Boost Problem

AKDuramax

Rice-Burner Burner
Went for a cruise with one of my buddies today. He drives an 01 with an auto and he has the edge juice with attitude, and a set of gauges. His problem...at WOT on level 5, his juice is reading 19 psi, and he cant go over it. At WOT on level 5, the mechanical gauge says that he's only making 16-17. told him to go through all of his intake boots to make sure they're sealing good and the clamps are tight. Any other ideas?

The wastegate needs to be held shut on the hy35. You can purchase a j-hook to hold it shut to around 30 psi or use a turnbuckle.

The problem is that he couldn't use the boost elbow because he doesn't have a hx35 =P

Huh...that makes sense...how much is a j-hook and where can you get them?

A $5 turn buckle with hooks on both ends from lowe's works as well. Something like 6" long will work. If you want to make a very crude adjustable wastegate get a turnbuckle and a very stiff spring (also available at lowes) and attach one end of the turnbuckle to the wastegate, the other end to one side of the spring, and the other end of the spring to the alternator bracket. Crude but it works.

Told my buddy about the turnbuckle and spring deal. he did it and says he can make 30psi now. The juice/attitude reads 28-30 @ WOT, and his 0-60psi mechanical gauge says he's only making 20 @ WOT. Any ideas to the 10 psi difference?

1/1 going for 2/2 =P

Check the line going to the boost guage for kinks =P

I've heard of people doing that, but no one seems to notice much more power.
For twice the boost, what are the gains?