Boost questions

Willy91

ok guys, got a question. I got my guages in last night. My boost is really low like 15PSI max. Blocked the wastegate tonight and it didn't change. I understand that more boost doesn't nesecarily mean more power and everything, but I'm just thinking I ought to have more than that. max EGT's are about 1000 degrees so do I just not have enough full to push some good boost? She smokes quite a bit on the bottom but clears on top. This is with a 100 plate full back, AFC ans starwheel full forward. stock tming and stock GSK. Thanks.

Check for boost leaks, Ill bet thats your problem.
Check the lower intercooler boot on the pass. side. Over time it will rub through, because of thee metal edge its against.
Its easy to check for leaks, make up an adapter from a fernco rubber coupling, 4"x2" or 4"x1.5", then get that to a male air hose fitting out of pvc fittings. Pressurize system to 20-25 psi and spray all fitting with soapy water.
You can get everything from home depot or menards.

hello

tony597fitter said:
Check for boost leaks, Ill bet thats your problem.
Check the lower intercooler boot on the pass. side. Over time it will rub through, because of thee metal edge its against.
Its easy to check for leaks, make up an adapter from a fernco rubber coupling, 4"x2" or 4"x1.5", then get that to a male air hose fitting out of pvc fittings. Pressurize system to 20-25 psi and spray all fitting with soapy water.
You can get everything from home depot or menards.

Sorry to be off subject but just noticed another Union Brother and wanted to say hello Tony. Im local 40 boilermaker

what turbo are you running?

yeah, you should definately have more than 15 lbs of boost, no matter what turbo you are running

boost leak is ur most likely culprit

or the hose to the afc is disconnected...

Rick

stock turbo, hit about maybe 20 today, but it wasn't climbing fast ike it should. Feels real laggy. Rick use said the little line going to my AFC could be a problem? I took it off when I did my plate, maybe I didn't get it back tight enough. But see what puzzles me is the fact that my EGTS aren't hot. it was 95 degrees today and The hottest it got was 1000 at 15psi. Could it be that my 100 full back is restricting fuel that much? More so that a stcok plate full forward? My stock plate felt like it kicked alot harder with the T locked up, once boost came on. I didn't have guages yet but it sounded louder than it does right now.

Last edited:
jsaracing said:
Sorry to be off subject but just noticed another Union Brother and wanted to say hello Tony. Im local 40 boilermaker

Hello,
and welcome to the forum.:rockwoot: