Borgeson Box on a 2004

Red Sleeper

So here is the skinny.
Bought a Borgeson box and pitman arm (pn:800116) for my dad's 04 4wd Dodge. This truck is stock ride height, stock steering, stock everything except for a tuner on the enging and 285/70R17 tires.

Biggest problem is the pitman arm they provide. With the front axle level on jack stands, no load on the steering, all linkage hooked up, I can turn full lock to the passenger side. When I try to go from center to driver side it starts to bind.
Turns out the drag link knuckle that bolts to the pitman arm is out of travel and binding because of the angle on the pitman arm. My drag link knuckle binds
I've tried adjusting the drag link to accommodate for the difference in angle but it binds no matter what..

The pitman arm Borgeson provided is definately different than the factory pitman arm. It looks similar to the 08+ pitman arms.

Anyone else have this run in with these pitman arms???
I've been emailing and on the phone with Borgeson on and off for a month now trying to figure this out. All I'm told is it should work, we don't see anything wrong. We sell hundreds of them....

The shiny pitman arm is the new one provided by Borgeson.
IMG_3013_zpsdf091a08.jpg

IMG_3017_zps115add07.jpg

New Borgeson steering box at full lock turning wheels to the driver side.

IMG_3139_zps6ca962ca.jpg

IMG_3145_zps3446b0bf.jpg

Is the hole tapered or does it take one of the inserts like some aftermarket pitman arms do to flip the drag link end upside down?

The hole in the pitman arm definitely has an A-taper hole drilled in it. No sleeve like you're talking about.

That new pitman arm looks just like the 08.5+ arm I just put on my truck with the new T style steering. If you still have the old Y style steering (pre 08.5) that might be why you're binding. Can you use the pitman arm off the old stock dodge box and see if it fixes it? Is it interchangable w/ the Borgeson box?

Nope. Not interchangeable. The sector shaft on the new Borgeson box has different splines than the OEM dodge box.

I agree with you that it's the 08.5+ arm for the T style steering. But Borgeson doesn't seem to think so.. Pisses me off that I buy a $600 gear box from a reputable company and it wont bolt up nor will they make it right.... Yet.

Back