boring and sleeving a motor?

SMOKIN-U

Comp Diesel Sponsor
does anyone know a brand or where to get sleeves for one of these motors? how far can you take the cylinder before the sleeves would touch one another? who makes oversize pistons for them? thanks

does anyone know a brand or where to get sleeves for one of these motors? how far can you take the cylinder before the sleeves would touch one another? who makes oversize pistons for them? thanks

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "touching each other". The thickest sleeves I ever put in a B model were 1/8" and had plenty of space between them. If your sleeving the block you can run standard pistons. If you're only sleeving 1 or 2 damaged cyls. you can still run standard pistons. You can hone several thousandths out of the remaining bores and still be in spec. Matter of fact it's usually for the best. Less risk of scoring pistons. Any machine shop should be able to hook you up with sleeves. I never noticed any brand being extra good or bad; they're pretty much just short pieces of pipe.:aiwebs_015:

i mean like over bore it by about a 1/4" and put a sleeve in it and say run a custom piston 1/8" larger diamter than stock

Why sleeve it if you are going with oversized pistons? Unless your block is that scared... it would have to be pretty bad for that.

i mean like over bore it by about a 1/4" and put a sleeve in it and say run a custom piston 1/8" larger diamter than stock

I don't think you have to worry about sleeves touching one another, or even more. I just witnessed a motor being put together where when after the first sleeve went in, the boring machine slightly cut into it to put the next sleeve in. This was on a competition gasser though, haven't seen it done on a cummins. And yes there is a difference in sleeves and sleeve quality. I have a buddy that works at RCS diesel (local shop) and will ask him what they use and don't use.

If that is what you want to do, I would still recommend sleeves(thick ones). When you bore the cyls. out that far, you run into cases of coolant in the cylinder due to pinholes/casting flaws in the parent bore. If it was me, I would probably fill the block about halfway with block filler to keep the cylinder bores round when this beast is screamin.:hehe: BTW-Has this been done before? How much power gain/potential due you get from doing this?

i dont know what you would gain from that but there has to be something to it if tractor guys do it but they wont tell there secrets lol. done some more research and darton seems to be a good quality sleeve. problem with filling the block is i couldnt run in the smaller class i would be forced to run 3.0 and i wouldnt dare try to keep up with those guys. i am sure reliability would go out the window if you done thi as well

big bore = room for big valves = more air

custom pistons with custom bowls to go with the custom injectors and a pump that flows some serious fuel = 10 seconds of butt puckering preformance

i mean comp likes to blow his own horn about it all day on here normally, i'm amazed he never jumped on this right away.

Back