Brake Change

BC06PSD

Hairless Cat Aficionado
Let me start by saying I've done several brake changes in my day and today I changed my pads on my truck. This had to be the worst brake job I've ever done. It took me 3 hours to get one of the caliper bolts out. I tried everything. I started off with a end wrench, wow that's tight. Then a 3/8 socket wrench, then a 1/2. Hmmm am I going the right direction. Next was the 1/2 socket wrench with a 5 pound sledge. Jeez the ******* won't come out. Broke out the air compressor with the impact wrench, Nope after 30 minutes and 3 beer and telling my son not to use those words. Now I'm running out of ideas. I dug threw all of my tools and found a 13/16 spark plug socket with the hex head on the end. Put it on the bolt and put my 36" aluminum pipe wrench on it. I stood on the end of the wrench and started jumping. The wrench finally moved. I thought I broke the bolt off but it finally broke loose.

After inspecting the bolt with the gobs of locktight on it, it appeared to be gaulded and a couple of theads were stripped.

Fair warning this is no the usually 30 minute brake job, plan an entire day. Thought I would share, Good luck

The knuckeheads at the factory that put the "never take it apart again" loctite on brake bolts need a knee in the package....

but that's just my opinion.

A little propane pencil torch on thise bolt heads will loosen them up in a few
seconds. Once that LocTite gets warm it releases.

Yeah we had to step up to a man sized impact to take them off. I tired it by hand and it was not workin.

Damn.

Normally the caliper bolts aren't bad (the ones that hold the caliper to the caliper bracket).

The caliper mounting bracket bolts that hold the bracket to the knuckle normally have some loctite on them from the factory.
I normally just use a breaker bar with a 4' pipe over it and they pop right off.

UNBROKEN said:

Again Richard is right:clap: . Loctite is design to loosen up with alittle heat. I remember the first time I did a lift and couldnt get the spring bolts off located on the hangers. I just about busting a hemroid trying to get them off and on. Well after the lift was on I was reading the directions, which I didnt do before, and it said to heat the bolts up to that degree. I then learn after how loctite worked.

I did not know that. Thanks. I still think a knee to the package is called for though....hehe.

Ralph

UNBROKEN said:

Now you tell me. I thought about it, but just couldn't convince myself I needed to take a chance in damaging the caliper internals. I also did not know thats how locktight worked. Thanks for the tip.:bow:

Learn the same thing putting a body lift on the 99 Ranger. Couldn't bust a body bolt loose with a 4 foot jack handle. A little heat and you could turn by hand.

Robts said:
Again Richard is right:clap: . Loctite is design to loosen up with alittle heat. I remember the first time I did a lift and couldnt get the spring bolts off located on the hangers. I just about busting a hemroid trying to get them off and on. Well after the lift was on I was reading the directions, which I didnt do before, and it said to heat the bolts up to that degree. I then learn after how loctite worked.

Took the words out of my mouth(keyboard), the first time I ever did a superduty lift I thought I was going to have a hernia!!! I learned on the next lift to take off the bumper and hit them with a torch for a second and it was a breeze. . .oops.

Back