brake job

Fletcher

Comp Diesel Sponsor
Performance is something I try and take seriously when it comes to the race trucks……

Now, it's time to think of my towing rig, I'm going to give that rig a nice brake job w/ rotors, does anyone have any recommendation????

Um what's your tow rig?

A primitive set up would be to cut some holes in the floorboards and try the Fred Flintstone braking system. LOL

Seriously what vehicle are we talkin bout?

PowerSlot rotors and Halk racing brake pads. I'm running this setup on the family 4x4 Ford Excursion. Made a HUGE difference.

Mr. Fletcher, get ahold of me and I will go over some options with you.

Get up with Mark Craig, he sells the cryoslot rotors and pads, Dan (DCSpecial) says they really helped with stopping his ride.

I did the EGR brakes up front and converted the drums to discs in the rear. It helped OK but I wasn't impressed initially. What I ended up doing was cutting a section out of the rod that connects the axle to the proportioning valve and welding a turnbuckle in so I can adjust it. This made a huge difference......the rear brakes actually do something now. I would recommend to do this no matter what option you choose.

GatorRam said:
I did the EGR brakes up front and converted the drums to discs in the rear. It helped OK but I wasn't impressed initially. What I ended up doing was cutting a section out of the rod that connects the axle to the proportioning valve and welding a turnbuckle in so I can adjust it. This made a huge difference......the rear brakes actually do something now. I would recommend to do this no matter what option you choose.

EGR actually makes a rear proportioning valve delete kit, you might try it, seems to work well on my truck.

Bobcat, I'm about ready for some new pads in the front. What do you suggest?

Hawks seem to grab well. I guess it could be the power slot rotors too. It's easier to slow down after a 1/4mi pass with both of those additions.

brandon.

I'd still like to see a back to back comparison between slotted vs non slotted rotors...I sell both, but I just can't see the slotted rotors making that much difference.

I did the front upgrade first with the EGR and left the drums on the rear and I feel that the braking was worse than stock......they just made the truck stop pulling to either side when braking. This was the full kit with the rotors, calipers, pads, etc. I swaped to discs in the back......no help there. The price has come down since then but here I am about $1800 in new brakes and they worked worse than stock. It was amazing that when I took care of the proportioning valve issue, everything seemed to come together. Performance with never be the same as a newer Dodge or Chevy though. The thing is, I drove the truck with the front brakes doing all the work for so long that the front pads have worn prematurely and I'm not paying the $170+ for the replacements from EGR. Would you???