Brake lights stuck on

BigB82789

Today it was 48* and all the snow was melting, naturally. I noticed this afternoon that both brake lights are on. The key is off, the light switch is off, and the brake pedal is not drooping. Also the brake controller is lit up like someone has their foot on the brake pedal. Whats the problem? I now have this problem on my 91 and my 01. It seems to be a wet weather problem. Also the turn signals don't work when the brake lights are stuck on.

does the 01 have a brake controler too?have you tried to disconect it?thats where id start at

They both do. I disconnected the controller on the 01 and it didn't help the situation.

My bracket that holds the switch your pedal hits when your not pressing it was bent so that the pedal didn't activate the switch... Did the exact same thing...

I had the same symptoms.

The brake lights are normally on, and are turned off when the pedal contacts a push-button up under the dash. The push-button can slide down a little bit and then it will not contact the pedal, even when the pedal is fully returned, causing the brake lights to remain on.

My fix was to tie-wrap the push-button to where it was supposed to be.