brake ?? on 12v in 97 chevy

hyper14h

red around the neck
i was wondering if i did away with the pcm if i would still have brakes im not worried about the abs cuz i did a straight axle conversion also and it dont have abs. also i was wondering if i wouldnt just be better off getting a master cylinder out of a dodge or an old square body chevy.

depends on the brake set up that the truck originally had. was it a hydraboost set up or the gas style that uses vaccum pressure?

eliminating the abs wont do anything but give you brakes that will lock up instead of pulse. you will be fine on that part.

the p/s fittings on the pump are the same as the gm lines that is how i did my truck with the gm hydro boost system i used a dodge pump and kept my lines and its worked just fine. still works to this day although i didnt have abs on the truck i dont think that will cause an issue for you.

the abs system just works off of sensors on each wheel to know that its still rolling when it notices a wheel locking up it would pulse the system if it was functioning correctly to keep you from locking up the wheels. when the system quits working it just allows you to lock up the brakes when you slam on them instead of letting you keep rolling. if you remove the pcm for the brakes you will have a light come on and the your wheels will lock up when brakes are applied hard it will lock up the wheels instead of it pulsing like you feel in the newer vehicles with abs

k thats what i thought i no if you unplug a sensor it would go into manual braking but i wasnt for sure on the pcm. o and when u did yours how did u do ur return lines for the power steering and hydro boost were you able to just tee them together or did you have to add a fitting to your pump reservoir

on mine i had the two lines with fittings and one that slipped over the nipple on the p/s housing. so i was able to hook up everthing as if it was on the pickup originally. the only different thing i did was eliminate the cooler that was originally on the pickup. which kind of p/s housing do you have does it have a place for two lines with fittings and one that slips over with a clamp?

no mine has one supply and one return and also what did u do with your vac pump

my vaccum pump is just the drive for the p/s pump. if you have some change to spare get ahold of a guy on here that goes by Crewcab5.9 he has a website called Tennessee Diesel Conversions he has a p/s pump that is mounted directly to the front cover, and eliminates the vaccum pump if your interested.

with the pump you have your probably gonna have to tee off your supply line to provide for the hydroboost and the steering. i would go for Crewcab's pump set up he will get it with the dual supply pump. which will make it easier with your deal.

like i said my vaccum pump is just to drive the p/s pump i blocked off the ports to keep the pump clean and hooked up the oil feed line and run it.

depending on how far you are up in PA you can come down and take a look at it i am in winchester, va if you want to see the setup.

im in south central pa do you go to any pulls or anything in pa?

once in a while i will. i work a min of 72 hrs a week so its hard for me to get to a whole lot of them. when is the next one in that area i might be able to get away to come to it?