Brand New Engine Won't Start

tachessher

Good morning and happy new year! I am working on a 97 3500. We just got done installing twins, o ringed the head, port/polish with HD valve springs, new cam, 5x.014 injectors, 191s, 4K GSk, 24 degrees of timing, 5" exhaust, air dog pump. We just got it all together today, and tried to start it. We have good fuel coming from all of the injectors, but the truck just won't start and run on fuel. It starts with ether, and will then stay running, but only with the throttle held down. It's blowing major white smoke... Fuel pressure is steadily sitting at 38psi whether the engine is running or not... I shut it down so I could do some research, but I'm at a loss for ideas... It acts like it either has air in the system, the timing has slipped, or its running really lean. Any ideas? Help please!!!

I had the same problem when I put a 12 valve in my Ford. Reset the timing and it was good to go.

Thanks guys, I figured it was timing. I'll check it today. How do I check if pump is 180 out?

Pull the cap off on side of pump where you pin it for stock timing. rotate motor to see if you can see the pin as it come up to about where stock timing is. If you dont see it your 180 out.

Well, thanks for the info everyone. I don't want to go into details, (mainly because it was a real bone head mistake), but the engine started up and purred like a kitten today. I will say that it was a timing adjustment that was off, but nowhere near 180 out. Ran great for cam break in, with 23 degrees of timing! Hoping to start test driving Monday. Thanks again!!!

Well, thanks for the info everyone. I don't want to go into details, (mainly because it was a real bone head mistake), but the engine started up and purred like a kitten today. I will say that it was a timing adjustment that was off, but nowhere near 180 out. Ran great for cam break in, with 23 degrees of timing! Hoping to start test driving Monday. Thanks again!!!

Glad to hear you got her going.