Break-in Time?

PSD Trav

Adrenalin Junkie
My truck is currently getting a new short block. How long should I wait before I 'Beat' on it again?

Ive heard some put oil in it drive to the track and do a full pull i was wondering for a while to but when i get a engine back in a truck i tell the customer to take it fairly easy and come back 500 miles to be serviced/checked

No i wouldnt tune it and beat it right away, but i would drive normally, if you tow trailers go ahead and tow, do whatever you do. At least wait till the 500 miles when you change the oil again. What kind of tuner do you plan to run?

I got to drive it back from Florida, so thats about 650 miles. I've had a SCT for awhile. But I have also had alot of issues too. 2 sets of headgaskets, a turbo, a transmission, a rear pinion and now a block. All within 45,000 miles.

How did the block pack it in? I always thought a truck pull would be cool, but sounds a bit hard on parts haha.

I got to drive it back from Florida, so thats about 650 miles. I've had a SCT for awhile. But I have also had alot of issues too. 2 sets of headgaskets, a turbo, a transmission, a rear pinion and now a block. All within 45,000 miles.

Don't jump on the interstate and roll, the worst thing you can do to a new engine is light load and steady rpm. When I build a fresh engine I like to take it to the dyno and do a couple hard load pulls, or pull it straight into the burn out box and light em off then make a hard pass with an "easy" launch. But to each their own. If you have to drive it back from florida, just avoid the interstate. That should be fun and let the engine break in well.

What happened to your "block" / "shortblock", that required it to be replaced?

I have always been a firm believer in the drive it like you would normally do on a new engine. If you beat on the truck normally then do so. If you drive like an old lady then do so but in town in stop and go. Because like stated before if you just get on the highway and set cruise it is not good for it. 500 or so city miles will be good for it.

They told me it had a cracked cylinder wall.

I wish it was here, and I could break it in the way you all describe but its in Florida and I'm in Tennessee, and I am on a time crunk to get it.

Back