Broken NV4500 shift tops

Jff24Gordn

FIRE
I have not broken a shifttop before.:poke: I run the old style in both of my trucks. But today I got a call from a guy who was looking for parts for the new style shift top. I am not going to mention his name so he can remain anonymous. But he broke the plastic part that the shifter goes through AGAIN. And Mr Anonymous said a new one from dodge was like $150. I was wonderin how many people break these?

Well its not behind a diesel but i have an early nv4500 (with the tall 1st) from a dodge in my toyota landcruiser behind a 383 stroker. i broke the original and two junkyard replacements. both tops had a white plastic "shifter bushing" in em. finally bought a replacement from dodge it was changed to a black bushing that has never broke. maybe its an updated part or i just got lucky but so far so good, hope this helps
$.02

Wonder who mr anonymous is? :poke: To give it the benifit of the doubt, it did strip the threads out of three holes before it broke the last ear off.:owned:

no i dont have any pics but i could take a photo of the new part on it. maybe you can compare it to the old one to see if its worth the money. trans is on a dolly right now. chevy motor was a nightmare in that thing. so its going to get a small block ford. distributor was right against firewall. i have been kicking around the idea of a diesel in it but im not sure of the weight issues. truck handles the small block fine. +400 lbs. more im just not sure.

Broke the shifter rod, damn. All Ive done to it is rip the threads out of the shift knob.

Back