Broken tap in manifold :(

Boydo

Hey Guys,

I was helping my buddy install exhaust, intake and black max on his 2010 dodge all went well except the tap broke off flush in the manifold when attempting to install the egt probe. Before I pull the manifold and take it to a machine shop I was wondering if there are any ideas to get the tap out. There is about 3/8" of the tap stuck in the manifold.

I was thinking of using a couple needle punches and hammering them into the cutting head voids and using a screw driver between them to try to move the tap.

I was also wondering if I could hole saw the whole F#$K up out then tap it larger and use a bushing on the egt probe.

Any ideas would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

I've had it happen twice. I pulled the turbo and took a punch and a bfh and broke the tap. Retapped it with the same size and the probe worked fine and wasn't loose.

I saw a tool at a machine shop once that is made to remove broken taps. It has small fingers that go between the open places and allows you to back it out.

I had it happen to me.... I was able to use a small flat screwdriver and back the tap out .. once you get it moving... it will go quick....

this just happened on another thread, one suggestion was to heat the bit of broken tap with a torch, then cool the piece with a candle, the wax will seep down and make it easier to remove the tap.

I saw a tool at a machine shop once that is made to remove broken taps. It has small fingers that go between the open places and allows you to back it out.

They don't work very well unless the tap is already loose. A small punch to try to turn it back out works best. if it is lodged tight you can try to break it, but that can be brutal. In any case wear safety glasses or that tap will be the least of your worries.

I'm curious are what you guys are doing to break a pipe tap? Are you working it back and forth?, using lube? They are usually pretty tough, unless you are buying very cheap taps.

Tig welder and pile the filler in.. On the tap..
Build it up enough to grab with vise grips.. Works everytime

I like the barbarian comment! Amateures LOLLOL Never put side pressure on a tap! needle nose pliers work great if that's impossible hammer and punch tapped LIGHTLY!!

I used a hammer and nail and turned mine out till I could get it with my fingers. It only takes about a 1/16th of a turn and it will usually spin out easily.

Back