bucking and p0336 during hard runs

russcone

Lately I've been having some issues with p2509 and p0088 and the truck just cutting off ect... I dielectric greased every connection except those under the fuse bock and at the trans. Replaced both cam and crank sensors, replaced a bad fan clutch and fixed two wore wires. I think I solved that issue but now I'm experiencing bucking under heavy throttle or a wot run.
As soon as this accrues i get a 0336. Truck will only do this under heavy throttle. What direction could I take now?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

udagebys.jpg

My own picture won't sure because of the firewall lol.

I'm guessing 5v supply is dropping out when the apps loads up. Just a guess though. I need to look harder into that.

Educated Idiot.

Last edited:
I would look to see if the balancer is still tight, I have had this happen only under heavy throttle too.

Well ended up getting on it after checking something and she cut off.
Pulled over had my 2509 back... Whatever is causing this has to be causing anything else.
I just pulled her in the shop to do everything else I can

Cleaned and greased all plugs under the fuse box. Moved to the tone ring, it checked out good. Changed my alternator. Went back over my wires at the ac comp. Going to check the wires along the cam position sensor. After I check those and get my balancer bolted back up I'll see what she does.

Okay I found this but I'm not sure which wires to check at the ckp plug.

P0336-CRANKSHAFT POSITION (CKP) SENSOR SIGNAL

P0336 - Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Signal

WHEN MONITORED
With the key on.

SET CONDITION
The voltage detected at the Crankshaft position sensor is below a calibrated value.

POSSIBLE CAUSES
- CKP sensor
- (K24) Signal circuit open
- (K853) 5-volt supply circuit open
- (K975) Return circuit open
- (K24) Signal circuit shorted to (K975) return circuit
- (K853) 5-volt supply circuit shorted to (K975) return circuit
- (K24) signal circuit shorted to (K853) 5-volt supply circuit
- (K24) signal circuit shorted to ground
- (K853) 5-volt supply circuit shorted to battery negative
- Intermittent condition
- ECM

Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding.

DIAGNOSTIC TEST

1. CKP SENSOR
Disconnect the CKP sensor harness connector.

NOTE: Check connectors - Clean/repair as necessary.

Measure the resistance between the (K853) 5-volt supply circuit and the (K24) signal circuit of the sensor.

Q: Is the resistance between 900 and 1100 ohms?

YES: Go To 2
NO: Replace the CKP sensor. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Verification Tests > Powertrain Verification Test - Ver 1

2. (K24) SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN

Disconnect the ECM harness connectors.
Disconnect the CKP sensor harness connector.
Check connectors - Clean/repair as necessary.
Measure the resistance of the (K24) signal circuit between the ECM harness connector and the CKP sensor harness connector.

Q: Is the resistance less than 10 ohms?

YES: Go To 3
NO: Repair the open (K24) signal circuit. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Verification Tests > Powertrain Verification Test - Ver 1

3. (K853) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT OPEN

Measure the resistance of the (K853) 5-volt supply circuit between the ECM harness connector and the CKP sensor harness connector.

YES: Go To 4
NO: Repair the open (K853) 5-volt supply circuit. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Verification Tests > Powertrain Verification Test - Ver 1

4. (K975) RETURN CIRCUIT OPEN

Measure the resistance of the (K975) return circuit between the ECM harness connector and the CKP sensor harness connector.

YES: Go To 5
NO: Repair the open (K975) return circuit. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Verification Tests > Powertrain Verification Test - Ver 1

5. (K24) SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO (K975) RETURN CIRCUIT

Measure the resistance between the (K24) signal circuit and the (K975) return circuit in the sensor connector.

Q: Is the resistance greater than 100k Ohms?

YES: Go To 6
NO: Repair the short circuit or replace the engine harness. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Verification Tests > Powertrain Verification Test - Ver 1

6. (K853) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO (K975) RETURN CIRCUIT

Measure the resistance between the (K853) 5-volt supply circuit and the (K975) return circuit in the sensor connector.

YES: Go To 7
NO: Repair the short circuit or replace the engine harness. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Verification Tests > Powertrain Verification Test - Ver 1

7. (K24) SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED GROUND

Measure the resistance between the (K24) signal circuit and ground.

YES: Go To 8

8. (K853) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND

Measure the resistance between the (K853) 5-volt supply circuit and ground.

YES: Go To 9

9. (K24) SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO (K853) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT

Measure the resistance between the (K24) signal circuit and the (K853) 5-volt supply circuit in the sensor connector.

YES: Go To 10

10. ECM

Reconnect the ECM harness connectors.
Ignition on, engine not running.
With the scan tool, erase DTCs.
Connect a jumper wire between the sensor supply circuit and the sensor return circuit in the sensor harness connector.

Q: Did DTC P0337 set?

YES: Refer to the INTERMITTENT CONDITION Symptom (Diagnostic Procedure). See: Computers and Control Systems > Component Tests and General Diagnostics > Intermittent Condition
NO: Replace the ECM. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL).

The only way I could clear p2509 was to take to dealer
and have ecm re flashed. I tried everything before that.

Its gotten worse with cutting off and bucking from the 0336 I'm worried about it being the ecm or harness

Okay this is where I am. The problem has progressed to the point where I am thinking about buying a harness and ecm.
I can back the truck out the shop and brake it to 19-2000 rpm and the truck will miss and cut off. Once it cuts off it wont even allow the codes to display on the dash or allow the smarty to connect to clear and check the code. It also will not start and run it will only spin the engine over. You then have to disconnect the battery's and hook the back up to start the truck. Once you do that the codes will display and the smarty will connect.
Although the truck will crank and run the problem is still there. I checked the crank sensor harness and I have a steady 5v supply like it needs. I cannot further diagnose it since I do not have the pin layout on the ecm plugs.
Should I try and let the dealer reflash the ecm? Try a new harness? Try a new used harness and ecm and have it flashed? I'm lost and will appreciate all help!

Sorry for the late response. Everything got so bad scanners or my smarty wouldn't connect to the ecm. So i Ended up putting a used 03 ecm and engine harness on the truck. Everything worked as normal but still would not crank and run. Called a few people and seen the ecm numbers were way different than the original. Had smarty create me a recovery file and re wrote the Vin in The new ecm to my trucks Vin. Inserted the recovery file and she started up and purred like a kitten.

thats good news. i was starting to feel for ya man!

so ECM it was!

I ohmed out my harness and sensor last night and everything checked out. I'm gonna go over all my chassis grounds tonight and hopefully I come across a smoking gun but I'm not to confident. I may end up the same route u went before long.

Mountainman234 I have a pin layout and flow sheet for the 2509 and 0336 codes. If someone is able to help allow them to sit in the truck while its running to watch rpms, etc... Then wiggle every connector and wires at the ecm plug. You can pm me if you need any help or need to ask anything I went through

Thanks, Russcone I have the pin layout but I'd take the flow sheet if u would post it. I went threw the chassis grounds and ohmed out the injectors and both sides of the injector harness. Everything has checked out so far. The injectors ohmed out at .5 across the board cold and .5 for 4 of em and .6 for 2 warm. Not a real smoking gun.

I'll go search my folder and find them. But at what point and when is your truck acting up? Is it throwing cam/crank codes or the ECM/PCM power down data lost?

Well I'm getting the 0336 and a 2149. Mid way threw the winter it started idling funny, nothing major just a slightly different vibration and tone but not a miss. So I watched the injectors with a scan tool and nothing really stood out so I just figured all were getting tired and I should budget for some new ones in the summer. Not throwing any codes yet. Spring roles around and I start running south to New York a couple times a month it starts popping a 0234 ( over boost) maybe every 2000 miles. No biggy, about a month ago on my way south it starts in with a very rough decel on cruise going down hills and maintaining on flat grades. Then it pops the 0336. After the first time it was nearly 1500 miles before it threw it again and since it has gotten more frequent to the point now that I can't really come off idle in gear and will throw a code. Recently the 0336 has been accompanied by the 2149. This a bone stock 05 manual trans with 243000. I changed the injectors at 180000 for some good used ones with 40000. I'm not surprised that it would b ready for new injectors but I'm not certain they are to blame. As mentioned before I have ohmed the harness for the crank sensor and everything checks out.

To b clear. Right now it will idle fine and rev smooth in idle. But it will miss and pop under load in all gears across the rev range. Sometimes it will come out of it for a moment but it always returns. I haven't experienced the no start that u did yet. I'm hoping to resolve this before it comes to that.