Buddies 05 died at 90mph on the highway.

INDSLPWR04

He said he was just cruising up the highway to his hunting camp when the truck just shut off. He coasted it to the side of the road and tried to restart but nothing. Turn the key = no start. Battery tested at 12.7V. Inst cluster is reading nothing when the key is on. Temp gauge instantly dropped to half the normal opp. temp. as soon as the truck shut off. He just recently replaced both batteries twice and the starter last week. Those 2 concurrences seam very odd to me for a truck that is only 3 years old. The truck was seriously wrecked earlier this year. The cab and bed were replaced.

What could it be? ICM, Ignition, ECM, or chafed wiring harness. Would a code scan point something out. The scanner at the BMW dealership he works at would not scan the truck.

Thanks.

I would start looking in the wiring at the ignition switch to see if there is voltage with key on. check for bad grounds also underneath and under dash. if nothing else you just got a bump to the top.

I have a 2005 Dually and had the same problem. Turn out it was HPOP fitting leaking I believe. This is a fairly common problem and there is a TSB on this. It should be fixed under warentee.

Good Luck

Paul

That HPOP fitting failure is very common on the 05's. Good idea to start there.

HPOP is high pressure oil pump. Fitting is the part the snaps onto the pump and connects the pump to the tubes that feed oil out to the heads.

How is the HPOP going to make the instrument cluster dead and the truck not crank?????? You either had a PCM take a dump, or you have some electrical issues, check your fuses in the FICM, and under the dash.

How is the HPOP going to make the instrument cluster dead and the truck not crank?????? You either had a PCM take a dump, or you have some electrical issues, check your fuses in the FICM, and under the dash.

He asked what they meant. Does the truck clicky clicky clicky when you turn the key forward?

Update from friend:
I found the fuse #22 was popped. That powers the PCM,glow plugs,mass air flow,and i think the injectors. I put a new fuse in it,and it ran like crap for a few seconds and then popped again. I think this may be an engine warranty issue.

You could unplug all the injectors and then hook them up one at a time while cycling the key to see which one is more than likely shorted.

Update: My buddy tried the fuse again the next day after he let it sit in the shop all night and warm up and it did not pop again. He drove it home that day and beat the wang out of it with no problems. So either it had something to do with the temp or a random anomaly or the truck just did not like being parked inside a BMW dealership. He is a BMW mechanic.

Back