Building a diesel generator?

RonA

Always wanted one and have a friend that has offered to find the generator and controls, so I would just need the engine. I don't see many 25-50 hp engines for sale and when they are, they are usually pretty expensive. I do fine 5.9's and DT466's for sale though. If you ran a 5.9 or DT466 at a reduced speed(say 1500) with a really light load(around 25kw Gen) how bad would it be on fuel compared to a smaller 3 cylinder japachinasaki engine running hard?

You engine speed determines the frequency depending on the number of poles in the generator, so you will have to run it at either 1800 or 3600 RPM.

Tobin

i have some 2.2 liter naturally aspirated motors out of refrigeration units rated at 46hp at 22oo rpm.. i cant remeber the fuel rate but its something like 2 gals per hour at max fuel.. let me know if you want something like that.. they are industrial app motors, have cylinoid shutdown and throttle, 14 quart pans, bypass and conventional oil filters, double fuel filters, something like 500 hour service intervals lol, but they have around 20k hours on them..

You engine speed determines the frequency depending on the number of poles in the generator, so you will have to run it at either 1800 or 3600 RPM.

Tobin

Generator speed can be controlled by pully size.

should be able to pick up a mechanical VW engine for next to nothing... I think running a 5.9 at 25-50hp would be a waste

Your going to run a 25Kw generator with a belt? WHY?

Wouldn't you want to look at the BSFC for the engine?

Tobin

Because chains and sprockets are too noisy. Adam said his little diesels burn 2 gallons per hour at full load. How much would a 5.9 or DT burn at 1500 rpm under slight load? Maybe less than 2 gallons with proper injectors? Overkill, but they are dirt cheap.

Because chains and sprockets are too noisy. Adam said his little diesels burn 2 gallons per hour at full load. How much would a 5.9 or DT burn at 1500 rpm under slight load? Maybe less than 2 gallons with proper injectors? Overkill, but they are dirt cheap.

Geared coupling and control speed with engine unless you throw it through a gearbox.

Tobin

should be able to pick up a mechanical VW engine for next to nothing... I think running a 5.9 at 25-50hp would be a waste

How about a VP 24V tricked into running in 3 cyl mode all the time. That's about 1800 rpm (or close to it), pull the exh rocker arms, pushrods and tappets out of the engine for the 3 cylinders that aren't firing. For the same cylinders, remove the injectors and machine an adapter for a one way check valve to mount in their place.

Now he has a engine capable of about 50 hp and also functions as an air compressor... :hehe:

If money is an issue, buy one with a cracked block. Just hook up a garden hose and let it flow, won't take much to keep 50 hp cool...

I don't want the cracked block, but I would like to run the coolant through a heat exchanger to heat the swimming pool.

lol pool heater eh.. ron i have a couple older ones left i think ill let go for a couple houndred since you have helped me out its the least i can offer..

Generator speed can be controlled by pully size.

I think it's great idea Ron. I been wanting to build one for back up power in my shop with hydrogen assist. I don't see why you could not run the engine at 1200 rpm. Like u said pulley up to run the gen head at 1800 the 5.9 or 3.9 p pumped bus motor would be cheap and IMO fuel efficient.

Chris

I think it's great idea Ron. I been wanting to build one for back up power in my shop with hydrogen assist. I don't see why you could not run the engine at 1200 rpm. Like u said pulley up to run the gen head at 1800 the 5.9 or 3.9 p pumped bus motor would be cheap and IMO fuel efficient.

Chris

I received a pm from a gentleman on this site about this thread. His experience confirmed what i have seen on another project. The larger engine operating at minimal load can be very miserly with fuel.
A 4BT would be the best choice, but I have yet to find one as cheap as a 5.9. He is running a 5.9 at 1600 rpm and the fuel usage is very minimal. The physical size doesn't bother me, and I've got lots of large wire from when we shut down the other shop. I could set it on a slab down next to the shop and run wire up to the house pretty easy. Maddog's got a Dt466 on the block right now, but that's probably overkill on top of overkill.:hehe:

Back