Bully Dog TD, Smarty, Edge

SpyderTB

Red Owl
So the time has come to buy a programer/Downloader i have posted one of these questions before but the answer i got was go with the Smarty. After reading other forums on this site and others it sounds like the Smarty is having problems with some of its codes. So after reading that i'm back to get a final choice made should i go with the Bully Dog Triple Dog, The Smary or the Edge juice with attitude. I would like in the range of 400-600hp. other mods will be coming i just dont want it to be all tuning if you could please help me out so my wife will hate my truck some moreLOL

SpyderTB said:
So the time has come to buy a programer/Downloader i have posted one of these questions before but the answer i got was go with the Smarty. After reading other forums on this site and others it sounds like the Smarty is having problems with some of its codes. So after reading that i'm back to get a final choice made should i go with the Bully Dog Triple Dog, The Smary or the Edge juice with attitude. I would like in the range of 400-600hp. other mods will be coming i just dont want it to be all tuning if you could please help me out so my wife will hate my truck some moreLOL

Well, you see my sig. and numbers with stock stix and cp3.......It's nothing new and no biggie, but the numbers and power level is nice...

The Bully Dog with Outlook is very nice....Guages and 4 total fuelling maps availible within a second.....Plus the mp8 adds another 50-70 RWHP while a twist of the dial.......

I'm sure the Smarty has made more power but I haven't had ANY issues or proplems with the BD TD........

I'm thinking of adding a TST though and may get rid of the BD if I like the TST setup and adjustablility....I think with the right combo of them I can get a few more HP....

$.02

Bullydog will serve you right....so will Juice/Attitude. If you get a Bullydog, add gauges. The attitude has them built in

I like the smarty, I have a friend who dynoed around 575hp with a smarty, turbo, and 50 or 75 hp nozzles.

I dont know what codes Smarty is "having problems" with...I dont think Ive heard about this...but Smartys the way to go.

I don't know of any Smarty having problems throwing codes due to the Smarty. We have dynoed back to back the BullyDog and Smarty, same truck same day and the Smarty came out on to big time!

John

I have had all three of those mods and others. Many different stacks over the years.

The Edge Juice/Attitude and the HOT Juice/Attitude with EZ stacked was the best moderate performance mods I had. Never threw a code, power was smooth and consistent. Truck dyno'd around 480hp with that combo and ran many consistent 13.81s ETs. Just wanted more power.

BD Triple Dog w/CL worked ok, was a little smokey (but stacks on mine over 500hp have been). Power was certainly not as smooth, the Low End power option was pretty touchy and the Torque Management delete option sucked. Lost instrument displays and such. Truck ran in the 13.3s ET with that stack and dyno'd around 545hp.

Early Smarty versions were a little touchy and smokey also, but power was better and a little smoother with the high hp programs than the BDTD. Newer versions of the Smarty have improved considerably the touchy throttle on Wild TM, no injector rattle, EGTs much lower and smoke not a problem to control even on highest settings. Current TST, EZ and Smarty stack dyno'd around 585hp and runs 12.7s ETs consistently (This is before the latest version which seems a little stronger).

So of the three I would recommend Smarty and gauges to start with. Add pressure box if needed when you can support the extra fuel. Then a TST when you want to tune in a little higher hp than that will give you. The only code the Smarty ever threw was the 602 which every downloader I tried, including the BDTD would throw. This has been fixed on the later Smarty versions and I have not thrown a code with the Smarty in many months now.

Just my experience with those particular mods. Of course every truck reacts a little different with mods and I have an 04.5 325 which is not apples to apples.

ok..........after I took in all of that a little FYI on my future mods after the tuner are CFM+ Mnfld, ATS or BD header, new Clutch ATS aurora 2000 or BD super B turbo, 75-120hp injectors depending on where I am with power at that time.
Now with those upgrades I feel I can get nice power, but well its never enough is it. So a tuner will be added, Which is going to be the first on the list. I don’t want to rely on power main from the Programmer/Downloader, having the power is nice but I don’t want to run it on the highest tune all the time. I am a power junky and my setup will be a daily driver.
Smarty - I really like this one it has a lot of options from what I have read to help the user with future mods to the truck. I also have read that the customer service isn't very good and there is only one main guy there that can help you....like I said I have heard this don’t hold me to it I have not called and found out.
BDTD - Another good product that has its good points to it like the power and the selling point to my wife the added MPG...that’s the only reason I would buy a tuner is to help on the mpg not the good power that the BDTD will give me. My buddy told me that the Crazy Larry update for the BD is not available for my 2003 Cummins. But like I said I would like to keep a tune on daily.
Edge J/A - one selling point with this is the gauges built in I really don’t know if I trust non mechanical gauges completely but the setting look good on it but don’t know if it will do ok with the added turbo and other upgrades

Sorry I know this is a lot but if you could give me your thoughts on what I and looking to upgrade my truck with and which tuner would work best for what I’m looking to do it would be greatly appreciated

If there are any issues with the smarty please let me know. There are no code issues and we are the only nondetectable product on the market.

Thanks

ramctd said:
So of the three I would recommend Smarty and gauges to start with. Add pressure box if needed when you can support the extra fuel. Then a TST when you want to tune in a little higher hp than that will give you.

:clap: The best advice I've read in a while!:clap:

Smarty works great as does PPE. Have had good luck with both. The ONLY problem I had with Smarty was rattle after I stepped up from 75hp injectors to 150hp. With the 75hp injectors Smarty was unbeatable performance wise.

BDTD fried an ECM for me, but that is my bad luck:bang

You probably want to go with the Aurora 3K vs the 2K if you are looking to hit the 600 mark.

Last edited:
Customer service is really pretty dang good considering its one guy handling it. You might have BullyDogs crappy service reputation confused with Smartys...just my added $.02

so the best bet is to go with the smarty with 75hp sticks and the aurora 3000

SpyderTB said:
so the best bet is to go with the smarty with 75hp sticks and the aurora 3000

Good place to start and see what you have. Don't know if you have gauges, but you need them with that level mods for sure. I like to have my standalone gauges separate from any other electronic gauges provided by controllers. Gives me more monitoring and verification of whats really going on. Just my .02.

it was stated that the newer versions of the smarty are better but how will i know if i'm getting a new vers. or an old one? are you talking about downloads or just the tuner

SpyderTB said:
it was stated that the newer versions of the smarty are better but how will i know if i'm getting a new vers. or an old one? are you talking about downloads or just the tuner

You can upgrade any 3rd gen Smarty to the current software versions with a computer and Internet. No cost just download the version you want and load it into the Smarty. Madselectronics.com has instructions and all software needed to do the upgrade.

Ok WOW you just help me know that i'm getting the Smarty i thought the home page to get the smarty was smartypower.com i didnt know about the Madselectronics.com site it tells me so much more about the smarty and what it can really do, and the main selling point "CaTCHER softwares can be used to reduce fuel consumption up to 15% depending on the driving condition. Saving money and reducing the vehicle emissions." taken word for word from the Mads site my wife will love the thought of me saving money on fuel costs but not knowing that the smarty is only for pure power. Thank you
for helping me with this i'm gonig to be reading about the smarty for a while now there's a ton on this site. Thank You again.

I believe Smarty is shipped with the latest software available...atleast if you get it from Bob it is

[quote='strokeThis_'07]I believe Smarty is shipped with the latest software available...atleast if you get it from Bob it is[/quote]

I'm not so sure about that.... But regardless I fell the first thing you need to do if you buy a smarty is set up to update anyway. You will want to try different tunes and not want to be a slave to your computer nerd buddies.

IMO

I agree on the turbo upgrade. The A2000 isn't going to be that big of a jump for you. You could probably compare it to swapping an HX35 to an HX40 on the older trucks. Your really not going to see that much of a power gain from it. I would atleast go with a A3000 or even an Industial Injection 62/12 or 62/14. High Tech Turbo also has some good 62 turbo's as well. I 3rd gen with stock injectors and CP3 can spool a 62 turbo just as easy as a stocker, and if you upgrade your injectors, you will bennefit alot better with the bigger turbo. just remeber when you get a set of injectors over 75hp, more than likely you will have to upgrade your CP3 as well as the Lift pump. And to further add to this post a set of head studs wouldn't hurt just for some added insurance against blowing a head gasket.