buy a built truck or have shop build mine?

jaybrown

i have always been a pulling spectator and I would like to get into the other side of pulling sometime in the near future...I know little about the mechanics behind building a truck so i would have to have a local shop do basically all the work on my 96 dodge 3500....i would like to pull in the 2.6 class or maybe 2.8... would it cheeper and better to just buy a truck already built off of here or on racingjunk? just seems like people always loose $$$ on thier investment when they sell a motor sports vehical...thanks jay

Well i would be careful on what you buy because its just that. Someone elses truck. You may not know some of the details that you would want to know. for future upgrades or what not. WITH that said there are some great deals and your right some times you can buy cheaper than building and some of the trucks are pieced together nicely. SO haha i know i probably didnt help but 6 one way half a dozen the other but just my two cents.

Buying a truck already built will be cheaper most times. But then again if you know people and can get some great deals you can break even sometimes between building and buying. I built my daily driver/2.5 puller my self. It was alot more expensive to build it, but I had more pride in that truck than anything else I ever had. I'm a big supporter for the "built, not bought" slogan, but finanually its usually cheaper to buy one built. But like said before, you didn't build it and there maybe some things that you may not know about the truck. I've seen some trucks I would kill to have from what I have seen of them, but then theres others I wouldn't give you $.015 for.

Either way though, you need to do your home work on the mechanics of everything and gain some sence of mechanical knowledge about these trucks before you jump right in. Sled pulling can take a big toll on a truck, so routine maintenance and nessesary repairs will be required to a puller. Its not If it breaks, its when and how bad, and repair bills can get pretty expensive.

Depends on how competitive you want to be with the truck. You can buy ragged out and have the one of the best 2.8 trucks in the nation for $40,000 and be done. Or have a local shop do it all and pay high amounts of labor and high cost of parts and not know how it will run. I say if you can find what you want thats done already. Do it.

The guys above pretty much mentioned most of the highlights. What we have found is that depending on where you live, will depend on the "quality" of the trucks to pick from if you are buying one. If you don't live in the mid west, if my be worth looking in the mid west for a puller. Their decent pullers will be very competitive in the west and other places where sled pulling isn't as big and popular.

Buy a built truck! Mine is for sale in the classifieds and is priced cheap compared to what it would cost to build it!
Brandon

Where are you located at? Depends on what shops you have around your area on whether you would want them to build you a truck. Or buy Brandon's truck, that thing is a good deal!

Buy a built truck! Mine is for sale in the classifieds and is priced cheap compared to what it would cost to build it!
Brandon

Mine to. Buy mine. Brandons is a piece of junk. My truck is better. In a fight. My truck would beat up your truck Brandon.LOL

Ive found the problem with buying a built truck that is generaly you have to start over from scratch unless you know the truck personaly id suggest you either build one or have one built.

Ive found the problem with buying a built truck that is generaly you have to start over from scratch unless you know the truck personaly id suggest you either build one or have one built.
Thats correct when you are buying some 18 year old kids truck that only goes to the ffa benefit pull every year. You get some back ground from who your buying from on what they placed and what events they go to and you will know how good it is. Or find out what parts are on it and if you know something else works better. Make the changes accordingly. If you have never built a truck before. Buying someone else' truck isn't so bad. Cause it usually takes 2-3 times of building to get it right unless you just have TONS of money or knowledge. But if you had the knowledge you would just build it yourself. I'm done rambling now.

If you wanna buy a great 2.8/3.0 puller there is one here locally forsale. Here is the copy of the other thread I listed in the forsale section

2000 Dodge Ex-cab longbed 2500. Truck is named Raminator
2.8/3.0 puller
Full built Scheid engine. Dyno'd 1100hp on the scheid engine dyno.
Not sure of the exact specs but if I'm not mistaken it has a billet roller cam, 13mm quick fill pump, custom injectors, billet gear housing and cover, gear driven fuel pump mounted on the front of the billet cover. I know I am missing a ton of other stuff.
Paint only 3 years old
5:13 gears
Tripple disk clutch
Intellidash data logger

Thats all I can remember off the top of my head. It is a top notch truck, has competed and won against some of the best in the buisness. No corners cut on the build up.

Asking $35,000. Has more than that in the engine alone. Needs to sell asap.

Contack Jeremy Reece @ (270) 590-5588. Tell him Justin Bragg sent ya.

Here is a video of the truck running in 08 with the old engine. The new engine has a lot more power than this one.

He is the last truck in the video YouTube - KOTTPA 2.5

This is the only pic I could find of it. I will try to get more.

Raminator.jpg

$5000 more will get you a complete open driveline truck. (Mine) And its all brand new this year.

I out pulled Joe everytime we hooked together and you can have my truck for 20,000 less than Reems.
Brandon

I out pulled Joe everytime we hooked together and you can have my truck for 20,000 less than Reems.
Brandon

Ya and have to go buy a pump and turbo and on and on.:kick: Mines turn key and carrying quite a few more ponies! About the only thing OEM on that thing is the body. Maybe we can give someone a packaged deal to get these things out of here. What do you think? :hehe: