buying a trailer

WAYNES WORLD

Guys,

I'm in need of a trailer for my truck.

I've seen the GN & a pull behind trailer with hitch torsion bars.
The pull behind has a tilt bed, a real positive for me.

Any thoughts---------

WAYNES WORLD

I would prefer the gooseneck. You can find some with tilt decks aswell. The truck will handle the load better and be more comfortable driving.

If it's the truck in your avatar go for a GN, a bumper pull long enough for it will be rather cumbersome and is gonna ride like crap.

untitled.jpg

neck2.jpg

For sure.

-Dustin-

Guys,

It seems that a GN is the way to go.
I liked the idea of the tilt bed by Doolittle for ease of loading.
I you had torsion bars on a pull along, would that be any better for it.
I have a cap on the tow truck already.

Bersaglieri,
What are the pictures about?

WAYNES WORLD

I have pulled both, a GN is quite a bit easier to get into a tight spot for me vs a bumper pull. There are several manufactures out there that make tilt GN trailers, take a look on E-Bay to get some ideas. If taking the cap of is an option, I would not want to have to keep taking it off and puting it back on thats for sure.

Guys,

It seems that a GN is the way to go.
I liked the idea of the tilt bed by Doolittle for ease of loading.
I you had torsion bars on a pull along, would that be any better for it.
I have a cap on the tow truck already.

Bersaglieri,
What are the pictures about?

WAYNES WORLD

The bars will help, yes, but it all comes down to how the truck gets loaded by the trailer by bumps and dips on the road.

Get your trailer as light as you can and make sure that with the truck on it you don't front load the trailer badly. You want the tow truck to sink, but not squat.

Bersaglieri posted pics of "Goose" from top gun, I'm guessing you can make out the other.

GN will pull smoother, no question.

For me, it wasn't an option and the size we wanted didn't require it. We went with a bumper pull as 2 of the 3 trucks in our family have some sort of bed cover. The unit that fit the bill for us was a PJ Deckover Tilt. For the money I couldn't beat it. ($3500 less than a similar H&H)

We got the 22' and it shuttled my SB 2500 to Bowling Green and back without making me feel punished. (Well, with the exception of 65 south of Louisville. That'll kill you regardless.) They make it in a 26 which would be better suited if hauling a long-bed, though I can't speak for its ride. Empty its spring axles aren't near as smooth as what I'm sure it would be if it were a torsion, If loaded properly as Billy stated, it rides just fine. In fact, Phil (Wideopen) commented on it unprovoked while riding around town with me.

I wanted a tilt for ease of use. My father has flipped or toted ramps on many of his previous trailers and with his back problems I didn't want to see him continue to do so if he used this trailer. The wired remote is fine, but we'll probably add a wireless sometime this summer to make it an easy one person job.

Point being, don't be afraid of a bumper pull if you find the right size. A goose will usually pull smoother but if you've gotta pull a cap off every time you use it, to a it isn't worth it. Set it up with a good hitch and load it correctly, it'll do just fine. $.02

Trailers

I pull with a 23' Imperial and it tows just fine. I have towed it with a motorhome and a 2500 HD GMC. I run the load bars. The quality of trailer does make a difference. Jeff

Just a thought but if your buying it to tow a truck you worried about breaking down? Have ya ever loaded a tilt vs a regular trailer alone with a dead vehicle?? I hate loading tilt trailers give me a regualr equipment trailer or lanscape trailer anytime. Also gooseneck are great but a properly loaded tow behind wont be that much worse with just a 7k truck on the trailer

killed300x,
Yes, towing a broken down truck was why I am buying a trailer. I would be putting on a winch for that reason.

Stingpuller,

I realize the equalizer bars are almost as important as where you load the truck. I had a 32' enclosed before. It didn't take long to figure that out.
I heard about a tri axle for sale thru a guy at work that I will be looking at.

Thanks,
WAYNES WORLD

I highly reccomend you get in touch with Trailerpro on this forum. I told him what I was hauling and what with. He set me up well. I am very pleased with my setup.

I highly reccomend you get in touch with Trailerpro on this forum. I told him what I was hauling and what with. He set me up well. I am very pleased with my setup.

I have done business with that family also. They did me right on what I needed for a gooseneck. Plus they're a pulling family, even Pop, used to see them in Napa all the time, it's a small town over there.

-Dustin-

Just a thought but if your buying it to tow a truck you worried about breaking down? Have ya ever loaded a tilt vs a regular trailer alone with a dead vehicle?? I hate loading tilt trailers give me a regualr equipment trailer or lanscape trailer anytime. Also gooseneck are great but a properly loaded tow behind wont be that much worse with just a 7k truck on the trailer

Very true. Tilt would be more difficult, but tilt or otherwise, it still sucks.

Thats why we added a 12k winch.

Pop is good people. I've never dealt with him, but several friends have with great satisfaction.

Amish Elegance,

Thanks for the good review of the trailer guys.
I PMed Pat. He gave me some great advice on the trailers, pro & con.

Thanks to all of you.
I'll post the unit when I get one.

WAYNES WORLD