buying first commonrail

andyb3500

95 12 valve
im ignorant on this subject dont hate me for this lol. what are the best years? six speed or auto? what should i look for? me getting a commonrail relys on if my truck sells or not so its not for sure but thanks for everyones input.

What are your intentions for the cr? That makes a bit of difference.

im still trying to find one so if you know of a quad short bed 4x4 let me know. it will be used for a daily driver mostly power will come later right now im just looking for a stock truck.

Well they all have issues then... 03/04s tend to have the least meltdown issues in stock form. 04.5 and up have more stock power. I like the G56 if you tow alot but you can't beat a good built 48RE either so thats a toss up depending on what your gonna do with it. Any of these year trucks with a good fuel system,clutch/tranny,and tuning will suit most needs and get decent mpg s. Good luck with the purchase... definatly a time to buy!

If you get a high mileage truck it would be worth it to have the injectors checked your pistons will thank you. Its one of the casuses of pistion failure.

I have one for sale. would maby trade? pm me and we can talk

Get on craigslist and do a search in the Dallas area for cummins and take your pick. There are alot of dealers that post on there in that area and will be cheaper than the trucks in the east. Save a few thousand and get aplane ticket(cheap right now) and take a mini vaca getting your new to you truck! Not only Dallas but the southwest in general.

I see your not far from me there in Knoxville. If you see any trucks for sale on the 'net by G & G car lot here in Bethpage AVOID them!

I live here and Brandon B ('97 CTD) asked me to go look @ a truck for him he was planning to come look @ and possibly buy 1st thing in the morning. The guy told Brandon it never had a box on it, I popped the hood and first thing I spotted was velcro on the fuse box and a pryo probe wires. Then the guy wanted to make me wait for him to deal with a guy that pulled up after me & after he called a bank. Told him I was going to send my buddy elsewhere and left. Funny he called when I was less than 10miles down the road, but I never answered!LOL

im ignorant on this subject dont hate me for this lol. what are the best years? six speed or auto? what should i look for? me getting a commonrail relys on if my truck sells or not so its not for sure but thanks for everyones input.

i jumped ship from the 12V myself

had one a tad over 500 rwhp. I like the CR so far, but miss the 12V.. I will say this, my 2500, quad shorty 4x4 gets freakish mileage, i get 16 or so city, and 22 highway, STOCK.. hand calculated... My 3500 has only had (knock on wood) APPS issues, im still lookin for a spare, but it runs ok, and throws no codes so far... Mileage wise my 12v was better overall, and torquier, but the CR is alot nicer, and stock power is quite nice... Both mine are stock for now.. until the meltdown issue is addressed

as stated earlier, 03-04s less problems with meltdowns, 04.5- and above, tend to be more prone to meltdowns due to the third injection event, constant high rpms, and too much timing as the main causes, too much timing coming from programmers and such...Hence why mine are stock, im afraid to even go there and risk melting an engine... FWIW until the third injection event can be suspended, im gonna hold off on a programmer or learn more about the ones available and see what i can do to prevent a meltdown..

overall the CR is AWESOME tho, and can make power ALOT easier than a 12V to a certain power level... but if you can keep your 12V.. KEEP IT..

I'd go with a manual over an auto for reliability and they are way cheaper to upgrade to hold power by just a clutch. Auto are easier to drive but expensive to build. Go with an NV5600(03-05) over a G56 if you want power but if not go with G56.

man i love my 12 valve it awesome to drive and i like the looks of a second generation truck, but i really want something newer. mine may make around 500 even though the injectors are way small for it but its powerful. it has given me alot of issues and they are never big things just stupid little stuff and its all fixed now but i just want something stock tht makes decent power and you cant beat the interior either on a 3rd gen truck

had one a tad over 500 rwhp. I like the CR so far, but miss the 12V.. I will say this, my 2500, quad shorty 4x4 gets freakish mileage, i get 16 or so city, and 22 highway, STOCK.. hand calculated... My 3500 has only had (knock on wood) APPS issues, im still lookin for a spare, but it runs ok, and throws no codes so far... Mileage wise my 12v was better overall, and torquier, but the CR is alot nicer, and stock power is quite nice... Both mine are stock for now.. until the meltdown issue is addressed

as stated earlier, 03-04s less problems with meltdowns, 04.5- and above, tend to be more prone to meltdowns due to the third injection event, constant high rpms, and too much timing as the main causes, too much timing coming from programmers and such...Hence why mine are stock, im afraid to even go there and risk melting an engine... FWIW until the third injection event can be suspended, im gonna hold off on a programmer or learn more about the ones available and see what i can do to prevent a meltdown..

overall the CR is AWESOME tho, and can make power ALOT easier than a 12V to a certain power level... but if you can keep your 12V.. KEEP IT..

Could you explain to me what the "third injection" event is? Sorry if thats a dumb question but yeah, I don't know what that means. lol. Thanks guys

Could you explain to me what the "third injection" event is? Sorry if thats a dumb question but yeah, I don't know what that means. lol. Thanks guys

my stab at it is simple

a third injection event is just that, a third injection event that the more modern IE 04.5- 07 CR's use to quiet down the engine a bit, so that it is less clackety, IIRC their theory is that a third fuel injection event will quiet down the engine a bit more, yet the problem with the meltdowns IS NOT egts, from reading on, EGTS are useless on a higher HP truck 650 plus im guessin, The problem with the meltdowns that i forgot to mention is heat in the piston (cumbustion) chamber. You can get an egt temperature, but you are never certain on the temperature inside the combustion chamber.. As theres no way to actually measure it..

moreso the CR cummins atomizes fuel so much and burns it so thoroughly that the third injection event is just adding excessive heat to the piston chamber, this being a negative reprocussion to the "quieter" CR. This adds to the equation of the dreaded meltdown....

combine this knowledge, with lack of proper programmer knowledge, excessive timing from agressive or non adjustable programmers, and those that constantly run Higher RPMS on their motors, and you can now see why this third event is more harmful than good...

thanks

Well you can go wrong buying a CR. They are reliable and nice to drive, the power is there when you need it. I bought mine not knowing there was a difference between an 03-07. I bought it early spring of '07 so then mods started pouring in. I ordered stuff for an 04 not knowing it was an 04.5 and had to send most of the back to swap it out. Just make sure you know what year model it is and then we can all help you on what mods to do.

you're nuts man, I've been running the 230hp Smarty TNT tune for over a year... I couldn't imagine driving around stock! LOL

I love driving my CR as compared to my 12V, even though it's stock, but i have purchased a TC and a smartyR ,next up is a VB and some shaft's, then i can start to play.

Last edited: