Bye bye Twins

DavidTD

DPM
Thought I would share that I have removed the twins from my 12v and have replacd them with a new HTT Super Stock SS turbo. This is their new stainless steel exhaust housing turbo. It has a 62 compressor, 13 exhaust housing and a 71mm exhaust wheel.

My twins were old school (35/3B combo) and have been on my truck for years now. I am looking forward to comparing a new state of the art single to the older twins.

I had ~460hp with the twins. I will update with some impressions once I get a few miles put on but so far...

Turbo spools great. Whistle is louder as is the exhaust note. (I had forgotten how the twins really quiet down the truck). Cruising boost is less with the single, response appears as good. I will be heading to Indy Sunday and returning Wednesday so I will get a chance to compare ecomony too.

But so far, I really like this turbo.:rockwoot:

How is spoolup compared to the twinset?

Tim, so far I believe it spins as well anyway as did the small twins. When I get the fuel adjusted back to about where it was with the twins I will have a better idea. I am going to see if I can make this set-up 500hp. :ft:

I know that is a good street turbo for 450-500 hp. Some folks run more but I like to keep things cool and could run 485 hp with out worrying about getting too hot. I ran a 62/12 for a while and then went to the 14cm2 turbine housing with out seeing much differance.
The sound is intimidating and calms down the stangs at the street lights.:ft:

I love mine I am not running a ton of fuel at mine and it is a great turbo. I made 490 with it and a set of 110hp sticks in my 02. Never seen more than 1100 with it in my 5spd with the box on kill.

edgerat said:
I love mine I am not running a ton of fuel at mine and it is a great turbo. I made 490 with it and a set of 110hp sticks in my 02. Never seen more than 1100 with it in my 5spd with the box on kill.

If you dont mind me asking what is your setup? Whos injectors are you running? This is the charger that I want to run in the 2.4 inducer class. I'm looking for 515Hp or so and then run water meth. David what do you think of this charger so far. What temps are you running and what is your HP currently.

Andy

Dazed&Confused said:
If you dont mind me asking what is your setup? Whos injectors are you running? This is the charger that I want to run in the 2.4 inducer class. I'm looking for 515Hp or so and then run water meth. David what do you think of this charger so far. What temps are you running and what is your HP currently.

Andy

I just came off the dyno at 475 uncorrected HP. 1004 TQ.

This is a brand new turbo from HTT. I got the first one.

Keep in mind this is a street truck so I am expecting street manners out of it. So far, I am in love with it. Spool is good. Temps are realistic for the power/size. Yes I can exceed 1400 degrees at full throttle but in daily driving temps are great and even with moderate fuel, it doesn't exceed 1100 degrees.

My setup currently is 370's and this turbo. No cut deliveries. My timing is also conservative at 16 degrees. With a bit more tuning, I know I could reduce EGT's and increase HP to the 500hp level, but don't know if I will go there. This truck hasn't driven this good in a long time.

Cool, keep us informed. Is this still a 2.4 inducer charger? I wonder how it would do on my 24V?

Andy

Dazed&Confused said:
Cool, keep us informed. Is this still a 2.4 inducer charger? I wonder how it would do on my 24V?

Andy

You should b ok they r usen a 2.45 plug to measure I know of a few guys usen the 62 for the 2.4 class this year . I myself is one but its in a S400 style frame ... So what r u waiting for get one :hehe:

Rods said:
You should b ok they r usen a 2.45 plug to measure I know of a few guys usen the 62 for the 2.4 class this year . I myself is one but its in a S400 style frame ... So what r u waiting for get one :hehe:

I have a huge list and will take some time. I dont think I would pull very well as a 2WD right now.
LOL
Andy

shoot throw some 33x18.5s in back and balence the weight hehe

Rods said:
shoot throw some 33x18.5s in back and balence the weight hehe

I would get laughed off the track.:hehe: I have so many dang things to get worked out. You ever find out anything about that trans?

na, heck im keeping the stick and updating the clutch i guees

BTW David r u keeping it gated ??? if so whats the boost# thx

Dazed&Confused said:

Andy
Andy, I am running 110hp sticks with a plain Edge Comp, afe stage 2 and the HTT Super stock 62 same thing as David has as far as turbo goes. 490hp with 110hp sticks and I cant see more than 1100 degrees so I think if I went to some stage 4 DDP injectors I would be able to break 515 fairly easy and still not be TOO hot. Spools VERY fast and pulls really hard, if you are on a long run it does run out of legs once you get over 100mph though, dont ask how I know. :rockwoot:

edgerat said:
Andy, I am running 110hp sticks with a plain Edge Comp, afe stage 2 and the HTT Super stock 62 same thing as David has as far as turbo goes. 490hp with 110hp sticks and I cant see more than 1100 degrees so I think if I went to some stage 4 DDP injectors I would be able to break 515 fairly easy and still not be TOO hot. Spools VERY fast and pulls really hard, if you are on a long run it does run out of legs once you get over 100mph though, dont ask how I know. :rockwoot:

Edgerat - do you have the new Stainless steel Super Stock. The stainless exhaust housing is 13cm and allows for a 71mm exhaust wheel instead of the normal 65mm.

Rod - It has a new style internal gate that is very effective. I am playing with it now and holding it pretty tight I am seeing 50 psi.

Dazed - I have not seen it on their website yet. Not sure if it's fully released. I was going to buy a 62-12 and Everette talked me into this one. I don't claim to be a turbo expert, I just go on the end result LOL and so far I really like this turbo for the daily driven moderate hotrods. 450-500 hp.

I've got to go back and look at the runs, but my truck with stock HX35 in this configuration made 431SAE and 413 uncorrected hp best ever. With the 35/3b twins, I believe it made a best of around 450hp. But I have to go back and check that one. :rules:

Hopefully after I get back from my trip to Indy and back, I will have some good data to work with.

DavidTD said:
Edgerat - do you have the new Stainless steel Super Stock. The stainless exhaust housing is 13cm and allows for a 71mm exhaust wheel instead of the normal 65mm.
yes and it has the LDP wheel in it. I thought mine was a 62/14 though :what: http://www.htturbo.com/ht71.htm yup its the first one there.

i was thinkin about gettin a chargerlike urs, my comp wheel is a 58 mm, dunno about the ehaust wheel, its that garrett gt 37 bb, (stage 2) keep us updated might change up before this season just need some help, im gonna sled pull, and drag. were ya headed to in indy.

edgerat said:
yes and it has the LDP wheel in it. I thought mine was a 62/14 though :what: http://www.htturbo.com/ht71.htm yup its the first one there.

Edge, those are the 71 series which are sweet turbo's. 14 cm housing is as small as they come but they have cast iron housing as I understand it. The SS series has a cast stainless steel exhaust housing. The thinner overall housing allows for the 71mm wheel on a 13cm housing. But you can still get the Stainless in 14's and 16's too.

I was actually looking at the 62-12 or the 62-14 71 series like you have. That is a great turbo and I have seen some impressive numbers with that charger. :ft: Phil Taylor actually made 640's with a 64-14 on his 94 12v.