Bypass Filter Mounting Location

Jory are those hoses the same internal diameter as the oem filter stem? Cummins makes all the parts to do a similar setup but the hose is huge.

Jory are those hoses the same internal diameter as the oem filter stem? Cummins makes all the parts to do a similar setup but the hose is huge.

I used 5/8 hose so that the connectors would have about a 1/2 in inner diameter. I don't think that is a problem but I could be proven wrong. There is abosolutely now restriction on the full flow side other than the oil needing to travel a few extra feet then back up. When the oil is cold and thick I think I should let it warm up good before driving....but on hot oil it should work, no? Like I said, this oil is 3 days old, all 14 quarts of it, and it drains warm like freakin' water. Nice how the regen dillutes it.

Could it be the OEM pressure regulator oscillating? It is a ball on a spring correct? No way do I want to pull the oil cooler off to inspect. :(

Got ideas?

Flow restriction from the hose is causing the pressure bypass to blow open. I messed with this years ago and had similar issues. This is why most bypass systems leave the engine mounted filter alone and simply add a bypass filter.

Flow restriction from the hose is causing the pressure bypass to blow open. I messed with this years ago and had similar issues. This is why most bypass systems leave the engine mounted filter alone and simply add a bypass filter.

I see, I see. Hm. I guess I could do it this way. Crap tastic! I just sold my single remote kit too. :( FTMFL. I could have just rigged it up as a bypass by itself. Nice to know all my work might be for not. Wonder if I can buy it back? LOL

I am curious why the new 6.7 has issues and the older ones don't. I would also think that the 1/2" line would be large enough.

Is it the hose that is the restriction of the hose or the base?

Jory wonder if you could just by pass the filter mount and just connect the hoses and see if you still have the issue for a short term.

I could bypass the bypass mount, sure. The only restriction in the loop are the filters. And what is more than that, they are in parallel. Granted one is choked down, but there should be less restriction filter wise. Now, gravity does play on lifting the oil back up a foot and a half...sure. It doesn't chatter when the oil is cold...only once at operating temp. This is really p1ssin' me off. I've spent two weeks and a lot of time doing this slow and methodically so it won't leak and will last as long as the truck. Very disgusting.

I could bypass the bypass mount, sure. The only restriction in the loop are the filters. And what is more than that, they are in parallel. Granted one is choked down, but there should be less restriction filter wise. Now, gravity does play on lifting the oil back up a foot and a half...sure. It doesn't chatter when the oil is cold...only once at operating temp. This is really p1ssin' me off. I've spent two weeks and a lot of time doing this slow and methodically so it won't leak and will last as long as the truck. Very disgusting.

Yes but remember the gravity your dropping it is helping to raise it.
So they in effective cancel each other.

Yes but remember the gravity your dropping it is helping to raise it.
So they in effective cancel each other.

Very wise grasshoppa. This why I like electricity. It runs uphill without having to do math to figure out +10 + -10 = 0. LOL

Very wise grasshoppa. This why I like electricity. It runs uphill without having to do math to figure out +10 + -10 = 0. LOL

Yes, I had forgotten about some of this stuff, until recently have been involved in some projects that involve this.

Lee, did you experiment with a stiffer spring to slightly raise the pressure of the relief? Is it in fact a spring and ball in the top of the filter housing like it used to be? I really enjoy the hardpipe the designers but right across the top of the housing so the outside 1/8npt port is completely useless. The inner can be tapped with a 90 or 45 fitting, but sucks as well.

Not being dick but are you sure it's a bypass filter base?
Checked it with air supply testing where the ports go and what not?
Just double checking its not like a water Sep/"filter setup that flows through one and into the other.
And the ball and spring was just a anti drain back setup?

Not being dick but are you sure it's a bypass filter base?
Checked it with air supply testing where the ports go and what not?
Just double checking its not like a water Sep/"filter setup that flows through one and into the other.
And the ball and spring was just a anti drain back setup?

It is a bypass setup. It is simply a cast aluminum housing with machined surfaces. The feed and return passages are parallel. I'm dumb at times but not that dumb. ;)

Lol I hear Ya
Just putting it out there so it didn't get overlooked.
Do you get a oil pressure drop when first started?
My truck has the amsoil bypass and full flow relocation setup on it and when you start it it will build 60+psi then 10seconds later drops to 0 then if Ya blip the throttle it goes back to 60
I heard dodges don't like these setups for that reason

I removed the whole enchilada last night. Sounds and vibrations went away. I might try it again someday but only after I get my display and pressure tranducer mounted so I can see exactly what the heck is going on. When starting the truck, the oil pressure went right to 40 psi...but the dash gauge is so buffered and dumb there is really no telling what it was doing. All I know is that is sounded like hell and I could feel the "noise" in the accelerator pedal.

Try a Badlwin 7317 in place of your stock filter. It has a build in "bypass" and will clean down to 5 micron.. From what I've gathered anyway.. Not completely done with the research.

Could it just be that it didn't like being mounted sideways?

I also wonder if the flow paths machined out in the mounting base doesn't flow good enough. It isn't like it was designed for laminar flow. It has to be cavitaing in a few different spots.

Could it just be that it didn't like being mounted sideways?

I'm kinda thinking this as well. I've always been told the filters needed to be mounted vertical. Never really got a good answer why, but looking back at all the different filter setups I've seen over the years, every one has been mounted that way from what I can remember. But I'm just here for the popcorn, so don't listen to me! :hehe:

But I'm just here for the popcorn, so don't listen to me! :hehe:

:hehe: That was a great line. Dang near signature worthy.

popcorn.gif

Back