Calling out John P vs. Comp461 and Project X for Hot Rod Drag Week

DIESEL POWER said:
here is a suggestion.

both of you meet at the track, weigh in, and who ever has the weight advantage NEEDS TO ADD WEIGHT to keep it even........

but at least race each other...........
I believe that is exactly what I said back in post 78.

Adding weight won't work...Sorry That will give the 4-wheel drive the advantage.

I say run what you brung...and hope you brung enough.

As long as they keep it under 8,000lb, or that will cause whole 'nother fight.

;)

I say "run whatcha brung" also.....a 4wd will eat a 2wd on a bad track, maybe we can even get someone to flag the race at the starting line for added drama :pop:

wideopen said:
Adding weight won't work...Sorry That will give the 4-wheel drive the advantage.

QUOTE]

?? IMHO a couple of hundred pounds on the rear of a 2x4 will do wonders for your 60'

This boxing match thing does NOTHING but degrade us. we're not really well liked in the racing world anyway, so the less redneck / hillbilly we can appear, the better. (it's been dificult for me!:1tooth: )
Not to mention, this thread could be considered in a "premeditated assault" case! ...so I'm certain there will be no fighting among gentelman.
Comps Challenge does seam a bit "insured", as he's making similar power in a lighter truck... but otherwiese, sounds to me like something that would realy put fans in the stands!
I think matching weights is a great idea, & driving your race truck TO & >FROM< the event should indeed be a requirement.

...& if not the Hot Rod tour....how about the rest of the DHRA East tour????

((I have yet to meet Comp, but would like to. I have met Jhon P & he seams like a nice guy with a real love for our sport. IMHO anyone who is guilty of the latter, IS ON THE SAME TEAM!!!!!!!!
kind of like this whol DHRA / NHRDA crap... our strength is devided because of a little hard-headed-ness.)) I'll shudup now.... -M

here are the full rules

http://www.hotrod.com/upcomingevents/hdrp_2007_drag_week_rules_registration/

There are three types who hate Drag Week(TM): cheaters, pansies, and whiners. Those guys get sorted out pretty quickly, leaving behind a big ol' party for the true gearhead adventure seekers--and you're invited! All it takes is guts and grit as you drag race for five days in a row at four different tracks in three states, driving your car on America's backroads and defining your own legend as you go. There's camaraderie, horsepower, miraculous feats of destruction and repair, nearly limitless dragstrip action, nightly bench racing, beer 'til 2 a.m., plenty of chances to get into HOT ROD magazine, and wagonloads of fun for anyone with a street/strip machine, from 15-second cruisers to seven-second diehards. The just-for-kicks guys can race in our Daily Driver category while the serious cars scream for the lowest average e.t. over five days of dragstrip action. The overall champ is named HOT ROD's Fastest Street Car in America, plus there are 10 class winners, a bunch of runners-up, and other awards for many participants. Everyone takes home stories to last a lifetime. It's all coming again this September 9-14, presented for the first time by TCI Automotive, and starting and ending in Cordova, Illinois.

DRAG WEEK III ROAD TOUR
DATE LOCATION
September 9 MSD Kickoff Party, Cordova Dragway Park, Cordova, IL
September 10 Cordova Dragway Park, Cordova, IL
September 11 Great Lakes Dragway, Union Grove, WI
September 12 Wisconsin International Raceway, Kaukauna, WI
September 13 Cedar Falls Raceway, Cedar Falls, IA
September 14 Cordova Dragway Park, Cordova, IL

That's why, in revising the rules and other details of Drag Week(TM) III, we considered not only fair competition, but also the human realities. It can't be said better than we said it last year: "We want to ensure that this remains both the world's greatest vacation and the most ambitious street race event anywhere, creating a mystical world where guys who are in it for the fun and racers desperately seeking a win can happily coexist in tribal harmony." To cut down the suffering and pump up the rewards, we shortened some of the drives between tracks and brought the total mileage to around 1,000, about 500 fewer than in past years. That gets everyone to Hooter's earlier instead of driving bleary-eyed until midnight. We're avoiding metro traffic, too. While we can't guarantee weather (the Drag Week(TM) road trip continues rain or shine), we did shift the route west in hopes of avoiding cloudbursts. We'll return to Cordova Dragway Park in Cordova, Illinois, for the kickoff and grand finale, but the trip includes three tracks that are new to Drag Week(TM): Great Lakes Dragway in Union Grove, Wisconsin; Wisconsin International Raceway in Kaukauna, Wisconsin; and Cedar Falls Raceway in Cedar Falls, Iowa.

Of course, the big deal about Drag Week(TM) is that every car has to drive the full route under its own power with no support vehicles. The overriding ethic of Drag Week(TM) is that each vehicle is to be treated as if it were on a road trip without a safety truck and trailer nearby, and if the car breaks down, it needs to be fixed using impromptu help and resources. Survival mentality and group psychology take over to keep every car in the competition. It's a huge part of what makes Drag Week(TM) so great.

The bigger change this year is to the format of Daily Driver, which has been our biggest class for the past two years. Previously, Daily Driver had a goal of getting a five-day average e.t. as close as possible to the indexes of 12.0 and 11.0. The trouble was that some Daily Driver racers slowed down their cars to meet the numbers, and others made endless laps seeking the perfect e.t. down to the thousandth. Now we're changing Daily Driver to an Open Comp format, which makes it more of a real race, gives any car a hope of winning, and encourages racers to run wide-open instead of sandbagging since they'll need a good weeklong average e.t. to qualify for a big Daily Driver class race on the final day. It rewards consistency and puts more emphasis on driver skill but will still be fun and accessible for first-timers.

In all, we hope to see Drag Week(TM) continue its circus of impossibly ludicrous machines blended with regular-guy rides, all helping each other and laughing along the way. The official rules are just the long version of that. Info that's different from last year's is indicated in bold.

DRAG WEEK(TM) BASICS

* The event is open to four-wheeled vehicles of any year, make, or model. Motorcycle-based vehicles

Current license, registration, and proof of insurance are required. No dealer plates allowed.

* Vehicles in competition must have functional headlights, taillights, brake lights, turn signals, horns, electric or vacuum-operated windshield wipers (vintage roadsters excepted), and a rearview mirror. Headlights must be of OE-type design.

* All vehicles must meet NHRA safety rules for the e.t. and speed they are capable of, and drivers must be IHRA or NHRA licensed if required. Drag Week(TM) officials will not accept timeslips that are quicker or faster than the car's teched legal e.t. and mph. Running quicker than the safety equipment allows is cause for disqualification at the discretion of the race director.

* Vehicles with slight rule variations may be classified at the race director's discretion.

* Any type of fuel may be used. Race gas may be purchased at the dragstrips, though HOT ROD is not responsible for availability.

NO TRAILERS, NO SUPPORT VEHICLES

* Vehicles in competition may not be led or followed at any distance by support vehicles of any kind. A support vehicle is one used to supply, or with the intent of supplying, any rescue efforts or to carry anything for a competitor including luggage, tools, fuel, repair parts or spares, and helpers or crew. Support vehicles towing "just in case" trailers are not allowed.

All vehicles must be driven under their own power during the entire Drag Week(TM) competition and may not be towed, trailered, pushed, or hauled at any time. The exception is an emergency where a vehicle needs to be removed from the roadway or other dangerous situation, in which case assistance, not to include a chase vehicle, may be used to move the car a short distance to a safe area (example: to the next highway exit).

* A Drag Week(TM) phone number will be supplied to participants. If an entrant wishes to forfeit the competition by loading the vehicle on a trailer or otherwise enlisting an illegal support vehicle, the number must be called immediately to notify the staff of the forfeiture.

* Each competition vehicle may tow a single trailer of up to 12 feet long from ball to tail and 6 feet high from ground to top, including the height of anything carried on top of the trailer. Alternatively, a U-Haul 4x8-foot box trailer may be used. Trailers may not contain any components that contribute to cooling, charging, oiling, or fueling the competition vehicle while the trailer is being towed.

WORKING ON COMPETITION VEHICLES

* Drag Week(TM) competitors may borrow or buy parts, tools, and supplies from each other and may help each other with manpower. However, any vehicle entered with the obvious intent of supporting another competitor with parts, tools, supplies, or manpower subjects both entries to disqualification at the race director's discretion. It is not our intent to keep friends from helping friends, but to prevent entries that are really support vehicles for other competitors.

* Helpers may not lead or follow in separate vehicles.

* Ordering parts and having them delivered during Drag Week(TM) to fix unforeseen problems is allowed.

* Swapping engines so that one is used for the dragstrip and another for the on-road drives is not allowed. One long-block is to be used for the entire competition, barring the need for impromptu repairs.

ROUTE AND CHECKPOINTS

* The on-road drive is part of the Drag Week(TM) competition; following the specified route is mandatory. Traffic, potholes, and winding roads should be expected.

* Each day's drive has at least one mandatory checkpoint. Each entrant is required to carry a digital camera that must be used to photograph the car at each checkpoint. Each competitor's camera will be checked each day to verify that participants have passed through all the required checkpoints.

* Host hotels will be posted on www.HOTROD.com. Competitors are not required to stay at host hotels and may stop anywhere they wish along the way as long as the entire route is followed.

Competitors are required to sign in and get in the tech inspection line at the track before 2 p.m. on Sunday, September 9. We will not register cars on Monday the 10th. It is important that you arrive on time.

* MSD Ignition will sponsor a kickoff party and test-and-tune at Cordova Dragway Park on Sunday, September 9. This is not a competition day, so support vehicles may be used and timeslips will not be honored.

* Cordova Dragway Park will open its gates around 8 a.m. on September 10. There will be a mandatory driver/passenger meeting held around 9 a.m., or before racing begins. Drag Week(TM) competition begins at the close of the meeting.

* Cordova Dragway Park has a space where trucks and trailers may be left behind during Drag Week(TM) competition. All competitors who intend to use the area must secure their trucks and trailers there before the start of the drivers' meeting on September 10. Access to the area will not be available until after the close of Drag Week(TM) racing on September 14, with the exception of racers who have forfeited the competition and need to pick up their rigs during working hours.

* Competitors will be teched at each dragstrip before running. All drivers must be present.

* The tracks will be open from roughly 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. each day, though adjustments will be made pending unforeseen circumstances.

* Competitors will be allowed to make as many passes as possible each day on a first-come, first-served basis. At 1 p.m., or at a time announced on race day, the race director will mark the last car in line in the staging lanes. That is the last car that's guaranteed an attempt at a dragstrip pass that day. If that car completes its attempt before the announced track closing time, then other cars will be allowed to race up until the track closing time.

* Every competitor must complete each track day within the specified times in order to remain in competition. To complete a track day, a competitor must stage and take the green light. Entries who take the green but are unable to complete a full dragstrip pass will be given an e.t. of 20 seconds for the day. If a competitor misses a track day and is out of the running, he may be able to make exhibition runs during the remaining days of Drag Week(TM) if time allows.

* It is the competitors' responsibility to hand in their timeslips to the specified Drag Week(TM) staffer each day before leaving the track. Once a slip is handed in, no other timeslip will be honored that day.

* Competitors may leave each track at any time. Route maps to the next city will be provided only once a competitor has handed in his timeslip.

* In the event that a day of racing is rained out, competitors are still required to drive the entire route and must check in at the dragstrip during the specified hours.

* Protesting another racer requires filling out an official protest form detailing the rule infraction, submitting a $100 fee, and supplying evidence including photos or video. If the protest is upheld or negated by forfeiture, the $100 is returned. If it is not upheld the $100 goes to the racer being protested.

* Each entry may only compete in one class. You must state your intended class when registering, and class changes are not allowed after the first day. If you have questions about what class your car fits into, e-mail photos to HOTROD@primedia.com for a ruling prior to registering.

* For classes other than Daily Driver, the winner is the car with the lowest average e.t. over the week; average mph is used as a tiebreaker.

EATON PERFORMANCE DAILY DRIVER CATEGORY

* Daily Driver has no limitations on drivetrain or body modifications. Cars quicker than 10.80 are not allowed in Daily Driver, and e.t. slips quicker than 10.80 will not be accepted.

* Daily Driver Class entries are not eligible to win Drag Week(TM) overall.

* Throttle stops and bracket-racing elec-tronics of any kind are not allowed.

* Daily Driver is based on an Open Comp format. Each car's five-day average e.t. will be used to determine qualifying position on a 32-car ladder for a bracket race on the final day of Drag Week(TM). At tracks with e.t. slips to four decimals, all four will be included; if only three decimals are on the e.t. slip, then the fourth decimal will be zero. The e.t. averages will be taken to as many decimal places as required to determine qualifying. Ties will be broken by average mph. The race on the final day will be a 32-car field on a Sportsman ladder (1 races 17, 2 races 18, and so on) but with a 0.400-second Pro Tree. Normal breakout and first-or-worst rules apply. Each car's dial-in throughout eliminations will be the five-day average minus a tenth, so a weekly average of 12.20 gets a dial-in of 12.10; in the event that a car averages 10.89 or quicker, the dial-in will be 10.80. The bracket-race winner will be the overall Eaton Performance Daily Driver Champ. In the event of a rainout on the last day, the winner will be the quickest car with the best consistency throughout the week.

WHAT CAN YOU WIN?

Tim will bring you the Timmy Cam for the entire week if we work out the technical difficulties.
We are working towards a huge charity raffle with major vendor support along with national celebrity promotion
There will be a lot of neat product from different vendors and the grand prize the 4th seat in Project X diesel for the week. .

turbomatt1 said:
wideopen said:

QUOTE]

?? IMHO a couple of hundred pounds on the rear of a 2x4 will do wonders for your 60'

This boxing match thing does NOTHING but degrade us. we're not really well liked in the racing world anyway, so the less redneck / hillbilly we can appear, the better. (it's been dificult for me!:1tooth: )
Not to mention, this thread could be considered in a "premeditated assault" case! ...so I'm certain there will be no fighting among gentelman.
Comps Challenge does seam a bit "insured", as he's making similar power in a lighter truck... but otherwiese, sounds to me like something that would realy put fans in the stands!
I think matching weights is a great idea, & driving your race truck TO & >FROM< the event should indeed be a requirement.

...& if not the Hot Rod tour....how about the rest of the DHRA East tour????

((I have yet to meet Comp, but would like to. I have met Jhon P & he seams like a nice guy with a real love for our sport. IMHO anyone who is guilty of the latter, IS ON THE SAME TEAM!!!!!!!!
kind of like this whol DHRA / NHRDA crap... our strength is devided because of a little hard-headed-ness.)) I'll shudup now.... -M

Well said Matt

BTW, nice meeting you at IRP. I'm looking for new tires;)
Chris

McRat said:
Charity race sounds like a good thing. That way everyone wins.

But both Comp and John have to learn something about interwebby smack talk.

WRONG:

"Back in '99 you ran a bias-ply tire when the rules stated radials! You're a JERK!!!"

RIGHT:

"Just to make it easier on you, I've commissioned Wolfgang Puck to create a special Crow Pizza to enhance your dining pleasure after the race."
--------------
McRat:

I highly respect you for what you have done with the Duramaxes and also for your very good points on this website.

But, for the record, COMP called me out on this deal! While I will admit to having no "love loss" for his new Boss (old Gale) I have tried to never get on here and attack anyone unless they attack me first!

I am also NOT going to put myself in a postion to be at any disadvantage in ANY undertaking, be it drag racing or anything else. However, with that being said, Tim is "right on" in his scolding of COMP and myself and to be honest I should know better! So out of respect to him, CompDiesel and the Members here I am done making any further comments. Tim is right in that if we intend to really "grow this sport" fighting and going on like we have here does NOTHING to help us, only hurt us. Tim,.......you are THE MAN! New members or drag racers will come in here read what has been going on and say; "Why would I want to be a part of something with people like this??"
That point is well taken by me I can assure you. And FWIW this sport is bigger than the problems COMP and I have had.

My apologies to you and any of the other Members here on CompDiesel that I might have offended!

------------
Respectfully,

John_P

BTW, nice language from baby P :rolleyes: did you teach him how to talk like that John? don't let Lary Ellis read this post, he might have a heart attack!!!! :eek:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Okay...
Here's what I think.
Option #1. Everyone lays off the internet smack and you two race.
Or Option #2. Everyone lays off the interne smack and you two DON'T race.
Honestly, I could care less who said what, who's truck is lighter, who is the better driver or any of that SH_T. We're here for Diesel Competitions, in this case, Drag Racing. NOT an online "measuring contest", so you two (and any camp followers) pull in your fangs and pull up you pants, this is hurting Diesel Drag racing.
We have a uphill battle convincing the rest of the drag racing world we're Legit, people fighting verbally, kills us.
I've been around Diesel Drag racing since BEFORE the beginning, I remember when Garmon's use of an HX-40 in his drag truck was cutting edge!
Everyone needs to do their best to help the sport out. If this keeps up it's going to get to the point where I only go to the drags to drink and hang out with my Comp Gnomies... uh... actually now that I remember Commerce '06 :what: .

Grow up.

Josiah

If we grow up, that's just means we get old. The **** talking is funny. If you can't deal with it, get the fck off the internet. I like to add humor in my life.

BigUgly said:
Okay...
Here's what I think.
Option #1. Everyone lays off the internet smack and you two race.
Or Option #2. Everyone lays off the interne smack and you two DON'T race.
Honestly, I could care less who said what, who's truck is lighter, who is the better driver or any of that SH_T. We're here for Diesel Competitions, in this case, Drag Racing. NOT an online "measuring contest", so you two (and any camp followers) pull in your fangs and pull up you pants, this is hurting Diesel Drag racing.
We have a uphill battle convincing the rest of the drag racing world we're Legit, people fighting verbally, kills us.
I've been around Diesel Drag racing since BEFORE the beginning, I remember when Garmon's use of an HX-40 in his drag truck was cutting edge!
Everyone needs to do their best to help the sport out. If this keeps up it's going to get to the point where I only go to the drags to drink and hang out with my Comp Gnomies... uh... actually now that I remember Commerce '06 :what: .

Grow up.

Josiah
You act like we're the only form of anything competitive that has ever done such a "terrible" thing as smack talk.. Are you new to competition?? I don't care what it is. It always has been there, it always will be there. And we are not worse then any other form of competition for doing so. There is no reason to say we are lower then anyone else because of it. Besides, if you would keep your underwear a little more loose, it's all fun.

Oh and that COMP guy is funny as he!!. Reminds me why I would never shop at Banks.

:bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: *bdh* *bdh* *bdh* *bdh* :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :poke: :poke: :poke: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Greg, I've told you this before. Arguing with John P only makes you look silly. John P, same to you. Greg lets his thoughts move faster than his fingers. John tries to sound like an educated gentleman, then he lets his testosterone trick him into saying childish type things. I'm not trying to attack either of you, I've known Greg for a long time, John seems to be a respected man in this circle. I simply wish the two of you could find a more diplomatic way to voice your differing opinions.
I agree with everyone who has said that this does nothing to further diesel performance. It's like a multiple car accident on I-35, you can't help but look at the carnage but it makes your stomach turn when you do. I'm in love with the idea of making a diesel engine able to compete with the big boys of racing. I'm waiting with baited breath for the day that someone announces a 5 second pass on a diesel engine. While I understand that there will always be different philosophies and approaches to diesel performance, all of this dissension at this early stage is nothing but hurtful to everyone trying very hard to make this a huge phenomenon.
Sometimes you find yourself in a situation where you have to share are space (or in this case server space) with someone you don't particularly like. I've found the best way to deal with that situation is to steer clear of each other. And when that's not possible, to weigh the things you say to or around the other individual very carefully before saying them.
Both of you are very passionate about diesel engines becoming a force to be reckoned with in the racing world, that's wonderful. The sport needs people like you. But, next time you flex your fingers for a long diatribe, examine each thing you type for the way it will be taken by the potential spectators, fellow racers, and future sponsors.

Back