Calling out John P vs. Comp461 and Project X for Hot Rod Drag Week

graphite04 said:
so Greg calls John out........and Greg has Nitrous, John doesn't, John has266,000 miles, Greg doesn't.....and how much do each others trucks weigh?? Thoughts??

his motor is new from Schieds , and mine is 218,000 miles short block the tires are 28 tall .

I spent another day today preping it for ECTA C/DT record run at Maxton , where was everyone excpt Cory a Marine for the base who is great help and two calles from Wes Snow and two From Jeff Olson, one from Jeff Sprill, two form Natilie , one from Gale , 5 from Kirk Manuel, 2 from Charlie Stewart , 1 from His Brother Tony , and one from Tim. and 3 from the National Rep for AFGE where I use to be a Local Preisdent and now handle dire need cases. 5 from Ronda, and on and on and on . and 4 from people I don't know but help . and not to forget Mike Wood of NX

Last edited:
DIESEL POWER said:
haha, real funny there greg................

hey what happened to "pinks" ? i'll be there tonight are you going?

This is what happened testing Thurs. night before I was getting ready to leave.

DSC000061.JPG

DSC000022.JPG

DSC000051.JPG

DSC000041.JPG

Snapped the crankshaft and it drove the tranny back 2":doh:

I came down anyway. In fact, just got back to the hotel after the finals:evil

Sidebar:

I'm watching a movie called "Project X".

It's about chimps who are trained to operate high performance aircraft.

Seriously. ;)

Ive seen that movie before.:hehe:

As Far as the thread, isn't Drag Week index racing & closest to the index at the end of the week wins? If thats the case who cares what one truck weighs & how much spray Gregs going to use to compete.

Why don't you guys just meet up for Quick Diesel race at an event.

Last edited:
Just got back from the track with John_P doing a little test and tune.

It's the first time that I got to see his truck run and all I can say is it is one IMPRESSIVE ride:bow: !!

Thanks for the help tonight John!!!!

Noreaster said:
Ive seen that movie before.:hehe:

As Far as the thread, isn't Drag Week index racing & closest to the index at the end of the week wins? If thats the case who cares what one truck weighs & how much spray Gregs going to use to compete.

Why don't you guys just meet up for Quick Diesel race at an event.

Daily Driver is based on an Open Comp format. Each car's five-day average e.t. will be used to determine qualifying position on a 32-car ladder for a bracket race on the final day of Drag Week(TM). At tracks with e.t. slips to four decimals, all four will be included; if only three decimals are on the e.t. slip, then the fourth decimal will be zero. The e.t. averages will be taken to as many decimal places as required to determine qualifying. Ties will be broken by average mph. The race on the final day will be a 32-car field on a Sportsman ladder (1 races 17, 2 races 18, and so on) but with a 0.400-second Pro Tree. Normal breakout and first-or-worst rules apply. Each car's dial-in throughout eliminations will be the five-day average minus a tenth, so a weekly average of 12.20 gets a dial-in of 12.10; in the event that a car averages 10.89 or quicker, the dial-in will be 10.80. The bracket-race winner will be the overall Eaton Performance Daily Driver Champ. In the event of a rainout on the last day, the winner will be the quickest car with the best consistency throughout the week

The whole point is not one race, but can a high dollar Schied motor make a 1000 mile drive, and race. Granted the parts on Project X are not Cheep, but the engine program can be duplicated for $12.000 on a good short block.What is the going price for a new Schied motor

Last edited:
dockboy, thats pretty impressive carnage...........looks like yall ford guys had a tough weekend. when do you expect to have it back up and running?
was it running better than in BG i assume?

COMP461 said:
Daily Driver is based on an Open Comp format. Each car's five-day average e.t. will be used to determine qualifying position on a 32-car ladder for a bracket race on the final day of Drag Week(TM). At tracks with e.t. slips to four decimals, all four will be included; if only three decimals are on the e.t. slip, then the fourth decimal will be zero. The e.t. averages will be taken to as many decimal places as required to determine qualifying. Ties will be broken by average mph. The race on the final day will be a 32-car field on a Sportsman ladder (1 races 17, 2 races 18, and so on) but with a 0.400-second Pro Tree. Normal breakout and first-or-worst rules apply. Each car's dial-in throughout eliminations will be the five-day average minus a tenth, so a weekly average of 12.20 gets a dial-in of 12.10; in the event that a car averages 10.89 or quicker, the dial-in will be 10.80. The bracket-race winner will be the overall Eaton Performance Daily Driver Champ. In the event of a rainout on the last day, the winner will be the quickest car with the best consistency throughout the week

The whole point is not one race, but can a high dollar Schied motor make a 1000 mile drive, and race. Granted the parts on Project X are not Cheep, but the engine program can be duplicated for $12.000 on a good short block.What is the going price for a new Schied motor

$12.000 huh

injectors $ 1200
studs $400
transmission$ 5500
flexplate $420
locker $400
turbo $ 2150
programmer $ 400
pressure box $ 400
nitrous $ 900
RAY mack head$ 6500
II modded cp3 $1400
II modded transfer tubes$ 700
snow performance meth kit $700
air box...$ 300?
exhaust $ 600?
speed eliminator$200
guages $400
we are allready at $22570 and i have not factored in the truck, labor, shipping, or tax roll cage, and your new rear end, and gear vendor. ect and may have left out a few other things.

this is about what it will cost for a low 11 second truck, reguardless what anyone says, it's not some cheap thrown together 12k motor!

greg, did you ever realize how much money II, NADP, snow and the several others have dumped into your truck?

you make it sound easy and cheap--it's not.
you have a 20k engine in there be proud of it!

Last edited:
Forrest Nearing said:
I'm pretty sure he was just talking the engine vs. engine
almost all of those #'s are for the engine, except the tranny and locker........still a 20k motor:rockwoot:

Dockboy said:
This is what happened testing Thurs. night before I was getting ready to leave.

DSC000061.JPG

DSC000022.JPG

DSC000051.JPG

DSC000041.JPG

Snapped the crankshaft and it drove the tranny back 2":doh:

I came down anyway. In fact, just got back to the hotel after the finals:evil
----------
Greg:

I am very sorry to see what happened to your truck Buddy! Hope you get it all back together soon.

--------
John_P

iracemx6 said:
Just got back from the track with John_P doing a little test and tune.

It's the first time that I got to see his truck run and all I can say is it is one IMPRESSIVE ride:bow: !!

Thanks for the help tonight John!!!!
-------------
David:

Hey your welcome buddy, but thanks for your help too! Also CONGRATULATIONS on that 12.7 run AND in beating that Corvette and Camaro SS!! You have one GREAT running Ford PSD David!

--------
John_P

DIESEL POWER said:
$12.000 huh

injectors $ 1200
studs $400
transmission$ 5500
flexplate $420
locker $400
turbo $ 2150
programmer $ 400
pressure box $ 400
nitrous $ 900
RAY mack head$ 6500
II modded cp3 $1400
II modded transfer tubes$ 700
snow performance meth kit $700
air box...$ 300?
exhaust $ 600?
speed eliminator$200
guages $400
we are allready at $22570 and i have not factored in the truck, labor, shipping, or tax roll cage, and your new rear end, and gear vendor. ect and may have left out a few other things.

this is about what it will cost for a low 11 second truck, reguardless what anyone says, it's not some cheap thrown together 12k motor!

greg, did you ever realize how much money II, NADP, snow and the several others have dumped into your truck?

you make it sound easy and cheap--it's not.
you have a 20k engine in there be proud of it!

Ok let’s get a little more specific

Stage 3 RayMac head, with ZZ manifold,
Stock valve springs,
No o-rings and new inconel valves. $4900
Max Spool II cam $ 450
Industrial injection silver bullet 66mm $2000
Industrial injection 3 flow tips $ 600
Industrial injection CP3 stage II pump $1400

ARP 2000 head studs $ 400
Nitrous express SX II duel Channel $ 875
Dr Performance stage III $ 300
Diablo predator $ 380
Snow boost cooler $ 600
$11,905

COMP461 said:

Stock valve springs,
Max Spool II cam $ 450
Industrial injection silver bullet 66mm $2000
Industrial injection 3 flow tips $ 600
Industrial injection CP3 stage II pump $1400

ARP 2000 head studs $ 400
Nitrous express SX II duel Channel $ 875
Dr Performance stage III $ 300
Diablo predator $ 380
Snow boost cooler $ 600
$11,905

How much is labor? 11,905 is for the parts, what about the cost to install these parts. That should be part of the est. if you're going to compare to a Scheid engine build.

I didn't see any mention of a warranty either? I believe Scheid gives a warranty of their work.

COMP461 said:

Stock valve springs,

Im lost ..... Why would you pay $5,000 for a head that is "stage 3" and put in "performance" valves and keep the stock springs? Why would you not O'ring the head? I don't know nothing from nothing but that dont make no sense at all!

Forrest Nearing said:
Greg (Comp) is not "the diesel power guys", but the truck has been in Diesel Power a good deal...

actually, one of the key players in getting that truck together and the first shoe at last year's Baytown event (who never gets any recognition to the fact) is Wes Snow (Crawler)

but I digress...

Greg may be the uber-salesman and dig himself into some holes that would be easily climbed out of with some real-world, down-home tech talk, while he decides to take an alternate route and flounder in salesmanship...

BUT he's also capable of taking some licks on the forums and having a good time...

He is what he is, and like it or not, he's been a KEY player in putting diesel performance (namely the drag racing aspect of it) in the limelight... maybe that's a good thing, maybe it's bad, but it is what it is...

John P, on the other hand, TO ME has shown himself to be a hypocrite that is openly sarcastic and codecending to Greg on TDR (maybe here too?), but when I act the same way toward HIM on DTR, he goes and cries to Larry and has me 'violated' :rolleyes: I'll admit to being a bit abrasive at times... my buddies and I rib on eachother constantly, and I admitted as much to John when I rubbed him the wrong way, but he couldn't let it go, and I wasn't giving him a TENTH of the crap he gives Greg... that, and using PG13 language (what's the average age of a Dodge diesel owner again? :confused: ) is why I'm no longer allowed on DTR :rolleyes:

weak sauce...

gourmet style

Well said!! :clap:

Back