Caltrac install

06cummins03

Going to install my Caltracs this coming weekend. Any words of advice that would make things easier, or any photos of how you did it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Mathew

They are easy on the passenger side. The drivers side would be the same if you didn't have to drop the tank. I did mine one side at a time. I jacked up the rear, put the frame on stands, pulled the front bolt out and lowered the rear end so the spring woulddrop out of the pocket. I used a ball-peen hammer and a brass drift pin to get the old bushing out and the new ones went in with some grease and manly hands. then put the bracket on the front of the spring andjack the rear endback up until the front eye of the spring is back on the pocket and bolt it together.

I can post pics of mine installed but didn't take any while putting them on.

Im gonna drop the tank for my new lift pump any way. About how long should I expect to do both sides?
Thanks in advance.
Mathew

About at least 6hours for ur first set.On 3rd gen u dont have to drop the tank.Trim the end the bolt and it will slide right out.

tools needed
good chisel
good hammer
block of wood
a balljoint tool works great or a press
sockets and air gun jack and stands
sawzall
do one side at a time its easier this way

I don't think it will take too long. We did mine in 2 1/2 hours including dropping a full tank.

We had to press in the aluminum leaf eye bushings on my 95. Some of them drop right in and others are stubborn.

Last edited:
I took my leafs off and it made it so very much easier... I took the back off then loosened the front and tilted the leafs to get bolt out with tank on... I used a torch to burn the rubbers out of the leafs and a punch to bend the bushing in and it falls right out... put lots of grease on the ends of new bushing or it will sqweek like crazy... worth all the work tho!

Is the ride changed at all with these installed and what about towing

I noticed a much more solid... firmer ride

mine were installed in cal tracs shop

excellent performance -quality fit & finish

DO NOT use a torch around leaf springs!

Easiest way to ruin them if you aren't careful

Thanks for all the help guys!
Going through the box, it looks like Calvert sent me the kit for a 1/2 ton.
Looks like I might have to wait a few more days to put them on.

Last edited: