Caltracs Installed! No more shutter or vibration.

leros

Lookin for Power
If anyone is interested, I installed these Caltrac traction bars Sunday afternoon and I am very happy with the outcome.

I have only driven it a little bit with the Caltracs installed and all I can say is WOW WEE. I tested it hard, the same as I did after I installed the 37's. I have no shutter or vibration at all on hard take off, none at all!

As a test, from a stop I built boost, took off real hard it, spun a little then left with no shuttering whatsoever. I did this same test last week with just the 37's and B codes, it had so much axle wrap that the tires hit my side steps in the back. It made such a loud noise that I thought I had broken something. Now I have the power to the ground where it's supposed to be and not wrapping up my axle, I'm able to keep my foot in it instead of backing off.

I am going to pick up my trailer next weekend to see how it pulls now with the Caltracs. I did notice it seems to corner better than it previously did. I still need to play around with the preload settings and see what kind changes it will make.

What I really like about these is that they aren't the real long traction bars that alot of the offroaders are installing, these are short and compact. I must say, I think this is the best item (besides my SCT Xcal2) that I have purchased yet, especially for the money!

I did a little step by step with pictures of my install. If you are interested in seeing what the Catracs look like,
click here>> http://www.pbase.com/leros/caltracs_install<<. After opening link, either click on the "slideshow" in the upper right or click on each thumbnail to enlarge.

Last edited:
shakinIH said:
what did that set up cost?

$340 plus the cost of u-bolts, mine were $40 from Deaver Spring out here in Ca. Caltracs has them for $50. Mine were long and I didn't want to wait for Caltracs to have them made so Deaver made them for me while I waited, about 5 minutes.

Just ordered my set - should be here soon. Maybe a dumb question but will I have to replace my u-bolts - Dodge and Ford may be different and I don't know what the difference or similarity would be.

I'm not sure how the Dodges u-bolts mount. If they are squared and drop down over the leafs with nuts on the bottom then you should be OK. The Fords are rounded and the nuts are on top of the leafs on a mounting plate so they need to be changed to the squared style. They should have told you when you ordered them if they would be needed or not, I would call and ask them just to be sure. Ask for Travis, he is very helpful.

Good luck with them, I'm sure you will like them.

I also have a set on mine and everything he said is true they are awsome my 37 hook so hard cant keep them on the road, the only thing i didnt like is is seems to ride a little ruffer but well worht it ill try to send some pics, but cant figure out how to make the pic small enuf

I love mine:woohoo: But I gotta tell ya this, them aluminum bushing's are a BIZZITCH on a Dodge:rockwoot: Gus, the way the hook up on a Dodge is a simple bolt on. But like I said, them bushing's are something else.:doh: You should expect to remove the spring's like they say, and have a bad arse press to put em in. All in all, I would have to say they made a HUGE difference on my truck. As much, or more than DSS doe's for my steering. Hope this help's, Gary