cam for a mild 02 24v?

ahale2772

Dad's got an 02 24v HO 6 speed that is mostly a tow rig. Its a daily driver but tows the racecar to the track in a 26ft enclosed trailer a few times during the summer, and the big JD on the flatbed.

anyways, he is impressed with the improvement in my truck after the 188/21o and he is thinking about a cam in his truck. our main concerns are keeping it cool when towing on long hills some longggg runs at 1200 degrees pulling hard up hills. He is a big fan of keeping it clean, and keeping good MPG's.

as of now, the truck has a Banks 4 inch exhaust, banks exhaust brake and exhaust housing, and a banks tuner (bough in 2002 so its all old technology), Fass pump and a banks hi-rise intake horn

it never smokes more than a puff when towing heavy, but a little more towing grunt would be good.

dont know much about tuning 24V's so advice is apreciated, would it need more fuel to notice any improvement from a cam?

thanks

I just installed my 178/208. Mileage runs are in progress. This applies to you because I going to get a load of hay Friday or Saturday. Truck and trailer I am at over 17,000lbs empty per scale weight. Add 3000 lbs of hay and I will be at 20,000 gross. I will let you know how it does. With the cam, I have no laggy turbo issues anymore.

hes got no lag issues, and it does tow like a beast, but the egt's are a bit hot for sustained stuff IMO, I will be (and allready am) watching your results, thanks

The cam will give him the ability to upgrade the charger to be able to push cooler more dense air and not have an increase in lag. So I assume he has the stock charger?

sounds like a case for the 178-208 if you want the best bottom end. Since he does not have a ton of extra fuel being that he has the Banks setup, a smaller cam will reduce the egt and be the best for what you are doing. If he goes to larger injectors or harder fueling, you may want to step up to the 181-210 or the 188-220.

Zach

yes hes got the stock hx35, i told him he should do a slight bump up in injector size, but i doubt he is going to want to upgrade the charger.

im interested in the 178-208, he dosnt get his truck up un the rpms ever really, so high rpm power is not a big deal, MPG's, EGT's and a bit more room to grow on the air side might be good.

whats the better cam for a low rpm tourquy VP setup? the 178 or the 181?

might p-pump it one day, but if we do, it will be a tow-pig style setup aimed to pull a trailer, so again rpm's arnt a big concern

I'm planning on upgrading over the holidays. Are there any graphs showing the differences between the 178 and 181? you can see whats in my sig, as I use mine as a tow rig as well.....

hes got no lag issues, and it does tow like a beast, but the egt's are a bit hot for sustained stuff IMO, I will be (and allready am) watching your results, thanks

Updated the other thread for you. This cam is awesome.

The 178-208 will spool a little better on the bottom end and will pull almost identical from 2200 or so until redline.