Cam seal on adapter plate

MegaCabRam

Finally got my engine rebuild done and put in and now it's leaking oil down the adapter plate from above the starter. I'm going to raise it up Monday and make for sure but I'm thinking that's got to be where its coming from. Are there and tricks to make sure i don't have to do this again? Rtv around the outside of the o-ring? I read on cummims forum that scheid told a guy to use a 2.375'' freeze plug on a 6.7 but I can't really see how that would work on mine. Now I'm just hoping and praying Its not an issue with the cam thrust plate causing it to leak...

Last edited:
Clean it real good but a cam seal leak will come out the bottom like a rear main leak! After you clean everything make sure the breather tubes are in and the valve cover gasket is good also on the back of the head there are a couple allen plugs that will leak if not tightened after the rebuild. Always follow a leak up to the highest point!

It's running down the outside of the adapter plate beside the starter, sure would be nice if it was something besides the cam seal.

Now that I think back the motor this plate come off of had a broken cam thrust plate and the cam cut some grooves in the plate, they were inside the o-ring of course but could this cause an issue?

I have one blown up CR engine here, with a broken cam, that the rod hit the cam hard enough, that it kicked back and cracked the block plate in the center of the 'O' ring.

This has probably has absolutely zero to do with the problem at hand, but I figured I would share. :D

Mark.

Last edited:
Theirs an oil galley plug behind the adapter plate right above the cam. It sounds like that freeze plug is leaking. Regardless it sounds like you're pulling the tranny and engine adapter if so

Theirs an oil galley plug behind the adapter plate right above the cam. It sounds like that freeze plug is leaking. Regardless it sounds like you're pulling the tranny and engine adapter if so

I was upset by this at first since I've been working on this for months but now but if I can just drop the tranny and replace the o-ring then I'll be happy. I'm no machinist but the cam end play was virtually not there (I know i should have checked it with a gauge but i got in a hurry and forgot) so I really don't see that being the issue but it does have me worried... ive got a new thrust plate laying in my toolbox but I really hope it doesn't come to that.

Last edited:
After checking it today it looks like it has to be coming from the cam seal/freeze plug behind the plate. I was told to use "the right stuff" around the outside of the o-ring, anyone have any experience with it?

After checking it today it looks like it has to be coming from the cam seal/freeze plug behind the plate. I was told to use "the right stuff" around the outside of the o-ring, anyone have any experience with it?

Yes. Thats what I use every time.

Back