Cam shopping aka sell me one

Kronic_187

Mekanical injection junky
well, after my recent ordeal Bad News Bears (thumping and ticking) - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

i'm thinkin it may be time for a cam sooner then later...

i was thinking either fuel mizer, 181/210, or 188/220

truck gets used 90% of the time as my work truck, cruising from the interior of British Columbia out to alberta and saskatchewan chasing drilling rigs... lots of idle time and 12 ta 15hr drives on hwy and dirt... but it also gets bagged on the weekends and summer, hitting the dyno, mud and the odd light to light run to 80mph or so...

If mileage is what you are after then I would go with the 181/210, it is the most efficient with a 2-3 mpg gain . Cruising EGTs with this cam are slightly lower than the 188 cam. Both the 181 and the 188 have lower egts cruising than the stock cam. The 188 will make the most power sooner and longer at the expense of slightly higher egts. 50-75 degrees cruising. Fueling and turbo determine top end egts.

I know I dont have experience with a ton of cams, but Im really partial to the 181. Sounds like you need something sort of in the middle of things. The 181 made my truck, CR not 12valve I know, alot smoother, spooled quicker, and my egts were down considerably.

The 181-210 was a great cam when we co-designed it with Geoff from Colt cam, and even better after out digital-redesign. The good new is things are changing. The 188-220 is nastier down low and up top. Across the rpm band, it makes the most regardless of what we have tried it against, up to 4400 rpm that is. The negative, less restriction to exiting exhaust show a slightly higher egt reading. The cool thing is that the engine is not running any hotter just that the exhaust gets to the thermocouple sooner and hence slightly hotter. Due to the much nastier intake, you would see MAJOR egt reduction on an overfueled truck with much more air getting through the engine, just a tad hotter than the 181-210. With the lower flow of the 12v head the 188-220 might show greater improvement than the 181-210.

What is your turbo setup and is your head ported? That will help us pin down exactly what you need.

If you need anything else, feel free to hit us up

Zach

Last edited:
running a Borg 63/68 with a .85 (15cm) non gated housing... basiclly a cheap, home made version of the 62/68 that everyone was raving about for awhile, i can hit 54psi easily.

before the DV's and with a dieng fuel pump, the truck dyno'd @ 436/1010 in abbostford B.C @ BD dyno days and EGT was well within acceptable range, only getting into the 1300"s @ the heavy end of 5th gear..... now with the DV's and a new fuel lab prodigy pump movin steady fuel... she gets hot in the top of 4th

Exhaust side of the head is gasket matched and ported slightly.... definatly cleaned up and polished alot more then it came stock. Exhaust manifold is heavily ported out and polished, turbine housing is gasket matched to manifold.

im not too horribly bother by EGT... truck has a 6" lift, 3.55 gears and 35" tires.... EGT is always gonna be there... especially towing which im dont do often, but thats what the AFC and a plate are for.

i want better bottom end spool and more flow on the top end.

may end up switching to a 3rd gen turbo over an HT60 or S475 eventually.... but for now it's just this single

Last edited:
running a Borg 63/68 with a .85 (15cm) non gated housing... basiclly a cheap, home made version of the 62/68 that everyone was raving about for awhile, i can hit 54psi easily.

before the DV's and with a dieng fuel pump, the truck dyno'd @ 436/1010 in abbostford B.C @ BD dyno days and EGT was well within acceptable range, only getting into the 1300"s @ the heavy end of 5th gear..... now with the DV's and a new fuel lab prodigy pump movin steady fuel... she gets hot in the top of 4th

Exhaust side of the head is gasket matched and ported slightly.... definatly cleaned up and polished alot more then it came stock. Exhaust manifold is heavily ported out and polished, turbine housing is gasket matched to manifold.

im not too horribly bother by EGT... truck has a 6" lift, 3.55 gears and 35" tires.... EGT is always gonna be there... especially towing which im dont do often, but thats what the AFC and a plate are for.

i want better bottom end spool and more flow on the top end.

may end up switching to a 3rd gen turbo over an HT60 or S475 eventually.... but for now it's just this single

That is a hard one to call. You are on the line. I would suggest a wastegate whichever cam you go with. i believe that will cool things down as you are running the gears out by relieving excessive drive pressure. The 188-220 will provide the best spool and the best on top. The downside you will have much more flow through your engine and you have non-gted housing which means at high rpm your drive pressure will be even worse.

If you get a gate, go for the 188-220 if not then the 181-210 will be your best bet.

Zach

roger that, thank you...

ive actually been trying to locate an exhaust manifold off of a cali truck with egr, so i could slap on a tial external gate with little to no modding or dicking around.