cam swap

Bad-Duvall

MOST HATED
Started on my cam swap this weekend only worked on it Friday night. Got the cam out and new one in found #5 intake lobe beat up so i replaced that lifter.
Look at the pic and if anyone knows why or what caused it on the cam.
Motor only has 9000 on it and 5 or 6 hooks

Benn Duvall

Attachments

• mardi gras and midway  benns truck 1.JPG
    mardi gras and midway benns truck 1.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 101
  • mardi gras and midway  benns truck 2.JPG
    mardi gras and midway benns truck 2.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 124
  • mardi gras and midway  benns truck 3.JPG
    mardi gras and midway benns truck 3.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 111
  • mardi gras and midway  benns truck 4.JPG
    mardi gras and midway benns truck 4.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 118
  • mardi gras and midway  benns truck 5.JPG
    mardi gras and midway benns truck 5.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 156
looks like valve float the inertia of the valve was opening the valve farther than the lift of the cam and the tappet was then smacking back down on the lobe of the cam. what does the tappet look like that you had to replace?

Looks like you've been turning to high rpms with stock spring on the valves and they just could not keep up. I've seen this before but i'm not an expert

=The tappet looked good no marks what so ever That is what i was thinking as well valve float and now thinking back i know when it happend to. and no jermey this is a non school deal i mean i trust them. and then theres trust them enuf to work on my own stuff ya know? :badidea:

lcaad1249 said:
Nice pink zip ties...
Yea thanks. I take it your off work due to the weather? Maby you should go back! Just kiddin.

Bud light does help me from time 2 time.

Oh yea thanks for your help 2 Andrew.

Hey Bad-Duvall. What do you think it was exactly that was the cause? Were you doing big boost and/or higher than 3100 RPM's often?

Thanx.

jmccart said:
Hey Bad-Duvall. What do you think it was exactly that was the cause? Were you doing big boost and/or higher than 3100 RPM's often?

Thanx.

Nope i can only recall about 3-4 dyno pulls over 3500 rpm @ 44-46psi of boost. I agree with Skynyrd=valve float

Kman9090 said:
That picture ther of you pulling you weren't above 3200??

maby a littel but i really think that it happend on the dyno becaus thats when i hit the highest rpms and i kinda thought to myself man that sounded like a littel much....

Hmmm, maybe I should check mine out....I hit 3500 on almost a daily basis, LOL

think i have done the same to my cam i'm getting a clacking out of the #4 rockers.

duvall were you getting any noise out of yours before you did the cam swap?

SKYNYRD said:
think i have done the same to my cam i'm getting a clacking out of the #4 rockers.

duvall were you getting any noise out of yours before you did the cam swap?

Nope i had no noise what so ever i was shocked to see that.

Here is another thought i wonder why only happend to #5 in take lobe and not the others? all the other lobes looked good.