Can't keep my NV4500 in one peice!

elledge12

Alright guys so I have a 98 12 valve ext cab long bed 4x4 cummins with the nv4500 and I cant seem to keep it together :bang It has a billet 1 3/8 input and a DD clutch. I had it rebuilt about a year ago because of fifth gear coming off and high miles and since then I have stripped 3rd gear twice. I have yet to do a good boosted launch but I do like to build some boost in 3rd and drift frequently. I'm always smooth with the clutch so there is not much shock on the drivetrain. My question is what can I do to make this thing stay together? I don't want an auto but I wouldn't be opposed to swapping in a 5600 or a g56 if they have stronger 3-4 gears. I'm also trying to get this thing back on the road ASAP. What are your guys thoughts? Thanks for any help!

Swamp in my nv560 im tryin to sell...have a few parts youll need to do the job that il let go for free with the tranny if you pay the asking price of $2100...Now that im thinkin about it, I might have actually talked to you already.

NV4500 is stronger than 5600 or G56. You need a good rebuild. (Read: good)

Cyro treat gears, make sure it's shimmed right usually there shimmed loose when you keep losing 3rd

NV4500 is stronger than 5600 or G56. You need a good rebuild. (Read: good)

IMO the 5600 is overall stronger when you compare them with them both being COMPLETELY STOCK. Now on the other hand, the IMO Nv4500 can be built stronger...and definately cheaper than the Nv5600. But ive been wrong before about things...and i know il be wrong again eventually...

IMO the 5600 is overall stronger when you compare them with them both being COMPLETELY STOCK. Now on the other hand, the IMO Nv4500 can be built stronger...and definately cheaper than the Nv5600. But ive been wrong before about things...and i know il be wrong again eventually...

The 5600 is an overall bigger hunk of boat anchor. The 4500 works quite well if it's put together right.

I'm not 100% sure it was rebuilt perfectly but I do have faith in the guy who built it. He's done quite a few of these transmissions. So the consensus around here is that the 4500 is stronger then the 5600 and the G56? I always thought the 5600 was stronger but slower. I can get a good deal on either one of those. My next question is how much does it cost to cryo treat the tranny? and other then cryo treating and making sure its shimmed correctly is there anything else I can do?

mine had a lot of miles on it when 3rd went a rebuilt myself and knock on wood it hasn't came apart yet. I have a very heavy right foot and left likes to slip off the pedal suddenly...

I'm not 100% sure it was rebuilt perfectly but I do have faith in the guy who built it. He's done quite a few of these transmissions. So the consensus around here is that the 4500 is stronger then the 5600 and the G56? I always thought the 5600 was stronger but slower. I can get a good deal on either one of those. My next question is how much does it cost to cryo treat the tranny? and other then cryo treating and making sure its shimmed correctly is there anything else I can do?

I had a 170 bucks in mine that was 3rd, the c/s, and everything in fifth

Thanks for the quick and helpful responses TheSilverBullet and Where did you send it to get cryo treated? and has anyone ever cryo treat a 5600? I only ask cause my cousin has one that was just rebuilt with a warranty he would sell me super cheap cause he is goin to an auto. Also how stout are the zf6's out of the 6.0 fords? I would rather have a 6 speed for pullin my skidsteer and mini excavator but if the 4500 can be made to stay together thats fine also.

I just reread your first post. No manual trans will stay together the way you treat them. 3rd gear in the nv4500 does not handle torque well. Put an automatic in it.

Stock for stock, the 5600 is much stronger. Bigger input and more surface area on the clutch (12 1/4" vs. 13").

Billet big input, good DD clutch, and cryo and they get plenty strong.

Cyro treat works fine for a while but then it will break I've broke 7 in less than 2 years there good pulling sled but If u wanna make any power on street go with nv5600

is there a guide to setting the proper clearance in one of these nv4500's?

a thread or something?

I know G360's were set too tight from factory, found that out the hard way. wondering what the trick is when people keep saying a "good" rebuild.... there isnt much to these...

Cyro treat works fine for a while but then it will break I've broke 7 in less than 2 years there good pulling sled but If u wanna make any power on street go with nv5600

There is no significant strength difference that I have seen. They both can break, but break differently. The 45 just strips a gear (which cryo helps), and the 56 will usually just snap the mainshaft @ the t-case. The 45 synchros also hold up better in my experience.

The 4500 also has fewer moving parts and is much easier/cheaper to work on, in addition to the fact that high-hp parts are much more readily available for the 45.

Cryogenic treatment isn't worth the money unless if it is performed after it was heat treated. The NV4500's gears were heat treated using state of vacuum carburizing furnaces, more than likely they were made out of 8620, the material strength isn't their weakness, it's their size.

From sounds of it your trans isnt shim right. Ask guy for spec of what he set it up with. When it was redone did you have ghe updated shaft put in it or go back stock. I know said you have input swapped.

Back