Cat interchangeability

Sasquatch

Does anybody know the specific differences between the C15 and the C18? I know the borexstroke (duh), but I mean more technical stuff. The external dimensions are pretty much identical which leads me to think it may just be possible to swap C18 liners and reciprocating assembly into my C15 block. Why? It'd be the big rig version of a stroker kit. It might be possible to just replace the engine with a complete C18, but those things are scarce and pricey. It would be cheaper to get the C18 internals and just use them for the upcoming rebuild. On top of that, I can't risk having a DOT officer spot some difference and start asking questions about my engine. I realize I would have to upgrade the turbo and injectors, and find somebody to reflash the ECM. But I need to find out first if the mechanics would work before I worry about those little details.

I can't really answer your question on if its drop in, but Cat is probably going to charge you core charges on the c-18 overhaul kit which is gonna cost a lot from Cat. I would check into that first.

There's always got to be a catch. Even with the core charges though it has to be less than what even a used C18 goes for. And I don't know if it would be easier to adapt a C18 to the truck, no idea what the differences are in the front cover and bellhousing. This may turn out to be completely unfeasible from any angle, but I'm not ready to give up the idea yet.