Cat on a 99 CTD?

AMMO22

BANNED
Hey folks, sorry for all the sudden questions on the 24V, but I'm new to the details of it. I feel like a newbie all over again.

Does a 99 24V have a cat on it (in stock form)?

AMMO22 said:
Hey folks, sorry for all the sudden questions on the 24V, but I'm new to the details of it. I feel like a newbie all over again.

Does a 99 24V have a cat on it (in stock form)?

Converter in the exhaust?

Not that I ever saw:st:

Then how do the older Cummins comply with the emissions laws (not that I like them one bit)?

Diesels were not on the same schedule as Gassers....

I think 03 was the year, hence the emergence of the Common Rail.

Here is what the AZ dept of enviromental quality says.

All 1967 and newer diesel powered vehicles registered within the emissions control areas of metro Phoenix (Area A) and Tucson (Area B) are required to be emissions tested annually. The only exception is for apportioned vehicles, which are commercial vehicles that are licensed in multiple states.

Diesel emissions testing in Pima County and for light-duty (8,500 lbs GVW and less) vehicles in Maricopa County consists of loading the vehicle on a dynamometer and measuring the opacity of the exhaust plume. The measured opacity must not exceed the established maximum. In Pima County the maximum allowable is 30 percent opacity.

My 99 didn't come with one. It had a resonator right before the muffler. You'll pass no problem, 30 percent is a pretty liberal opacity level.

I've heard they check for the cat, but if they didn't come with them from the factory, it should be exempt from that portion.

I'll probably have to keep the injectors on the conserative side huh?

Naw, I think a even a dirty 200 hp injector will see close to 40, so anything below that should be fine. I run Don's Mach 4.5s I wouldn't be afraid to go through a snap throttle test.

You can always borrow a Smarty and use the 1/2 power option to pass any opacity test regarless of injector choice.

No cat on your new truck, there is a resonator. Also look at the letter of the law, it says 8500GVW and less, that truck should be 8600GVW or above and therefore exempt :D That's one reason for the lack of converters on diesel trucks until this year, the emissions standards are tiered by GVWR.

So I would fall under this, the GVWR is 8800 for the Dodge. The webpage doesn't mention anything for vehicles abover 8500lbs testing in my county (Pima County), only Maricopa (Pheonix)

Heavy-duty (8,501 lbs and greater) diesel vehicles in Maricopa County are tested using the Society of Automotive Engineers J1667 test protocol, commonly referred to as the "snap-acceleration test." The test consists of measuring the opacity of three, wide open throttle, no-load accelerations from idle to maximum governed engine speed with the transmissions in neutral. The average opacity for the three accelerations cannot exceed the applicable standard for the model year of the engine. The maximum allowable for engine model year 1991 and newer is 40 percent opacity, for engine model year 1990 and older the maximum is 55 percent opacity.

So this will be like the seatbelt law - If you have an old car that came from the factory without seatbelts, there is no law saying you must install them.

If so I'm good on the cat situation hopefully.

dodge didn't start putting cats on the cummins until 04. You got nuttin to worry about. Hell, I live in Houston and our emission are as bad as califerina. I take mine to the dealer and they don't even look at the exhaust. Take your truck to a dodge dealer. they are usually partial to them and will let'em slide.

You guys have bumped your head! They have cats on 12v and CR motors. If they do your test like they do here in NV you can not fail except for the visual. My friends and I have been trying to fail it for years. I go in with 200hp injectors edge set on 5x5 and I can still only blow a 3. The highest anyone of us has gotten is a 7. You need a 40 hear to fail.

TJ

The only trucks I know of before 04 that had cats were those sold in California with it's tighter pollution controls. In the rest of the country the trucks did not have one to the best of my knowledge. When you look at the exhaust pipe you should see two objects, one will be the resonator and the other is the muffler.

I know what to look for, my 6.0 has a resinator and a cat. The dodge is in Houston still. I can't get away to pick it up yet, if I can wait until sunday it will be shipped. The dealership told me the wouldn't load transport trucks with vehicles if its raining........whatever thats about.

Nah, TJ you answered the original question. I believe AZ is 30-40 too on the opacity test. It sounds like both of my trucks will be fine, if I even have to test them.