Cat ?'s

HillbillyKK

I've got a couple ?'s, but first a little background. I had a 98 KW with a cat 6TS 550. It was a company truck so the had it cut back to a 490. The turbo took a **** so I bought an aftermarket BW for it. The part # was 174260. It had an AR110 turbine housing for a quicker spool up. I sold the truck, but I did remove the turbo. I have now bought a 95 KW with a 5EK cat. It has been OH'd with about 260 on the OH. The guy I bought it from said that when it was done on the test drive, they found a couple of bad injectors. The shop that did the rebuild has a set of injectors there, but was for a 6TS 475hp. He didn't want to wait so they used them on it. He told me that he thinks they put a new cam in it too, but still waiting on a definate answer. When I got it it was still set at 435hp, & pretty weak. A friend of mine took it to a shop he knows and they turned it to a 455, and then put a heavy haul code in it. I don't know what that means but I sure know a HUGE difference. My boost was around 25,26 & now I bury my guage, so I don't know for sure what I'm getting. The KW's only go to 35lb. I was looking at the turbo and the compressor fins are chewed up pretty bad. The stock turbo on it is a OR7204. Here's my ?'s :

1) The BG turbo I have #174260, upon inspection, the turbine housing has some cracks in it, (probably from being too hot, probably too small for the 6TS) the turbine housing part # is 174257. Does anyone know where I can buy just the housing?

2) I know the stock turbo # OR7204. The OR7205 was the stock turbo for my 6TS. I have a good turbo but it is a OR7206. Does anyone know what the 7206 came on & is it compatiable with the 5EK?

3) The guy that flashed my ECM to the 455 says that he can flash to a 500. He said that the very last of the 5EK's were 500's. Not knowing for sure if the cam was changed, would it be a good idea to flash it to a 500?

Damn I ask a lot of ?'s sure glad there are a lot of people here smarter than me!

some of the searching i have done about 3406 cats say to use the c15 series turbos and some say to use the ht or hx60.. i dont have your answers just some of the stuff ive found.

there is an ht60 for sale for 400 i saw on here today, these turbos were on the n14 and up to 525hp and 14 liters for compairison..

there is an ht60 for sale for 400 i saw on here today, these turbos were on the n14 and up to 525hp and 14 liters for compairison..

OK. I was looking, but didn't see it. Wouldn't be opposed to buying one, but would really like to know if the OR7206 would work. Would really like to know where I can get them BW turbine housing listed above from. *bdh*

Last edited:
Do not put a reverse rotation holset on a cat, you will just make things worse, just look at exhaust ports in both turbos. Plus it is a lot of work to get the bolt pattern to line up.

First off, you may want to find a new guy to program your ECM, 5eks went to 550hp just like the later versions, also the programming has to match the cam, if yours has the older style cam in it the programs for the higher HP engines will not match it.

The 174260 you have will only support up to 500hp according to BW, you need to either have a 177148 or a 175963 with the non wastegated housing installed.

[/QUOTE]

First off, you may want to find a new guy to program your ECM, 5eks went to 550hp just like the later versions, also the programming has to match the cam, if yours has the older style cam in it the programs for the higher HP engines will not match it.
[/QUOTE]

I think what he was saying is that the 95's didn't have a 550 program, only a 500. I still don't know what cam it has. I don't want to go somewhere it can't go. I'm ok with the way it pulls right now, just wanted to know if it could go to the 500,(since was origionally set at 435,455) without knowing which cam it has?
Thanks for the info on the turbos!

Last edited:
If it's a 5EK I can about guarantee its had a cam and some of the rockers put in it at some point, That was a major weakpoint in those engines until you replaced them with the updated parts.

Our 5EK's were all uprated to 550's and we never had a problem. I'll run those turbo numbers and see if I can find what the difference is. I'd think the 7206 turbo is just a newer improved version of the others but I'll check.

Back