CB questions

Baylor5.9

i have had CB's before but my uniden bit the dust finally i am looking for a new radio for 100 bucks or under i mainly just talk to me friends when we go driving or off roading or the traffic from truckers on long drives. i will also have a PA off of it. i have been looking at a cobra classic but am open to options. i also don't know about atenna's i have been running a 4 foot firestick fiberglass on a stake hole mount cause it is easy to remove for parking garages. i had it all grounded and everything and it worked good but am open to more suggestions.

Also Mounting ideas in a 07 dodge would be great if you have any.

Thanks
Brandon

cobra nightwatch all the way.
i love mine.
first mounted under driver seat but then moved to the cubby under the radio.
put external speaker under the driver seat.
pa speaker behind the grille.

my mount i sell 10.00 easy to remove and stainless, need tow mirrors thought

DSC01112.jpg

I had a Cobra 25 LTD Classic before I got my 29 Night Watch. Under $100, and a great little radio.

where are ya'll finding the night watch for under a 100 bucks i am only finding them at like 120-160

find you a cb shop and spend just a little more with one that is already tuned and peaked, maybe with talkback and a connex board. You will not ever be happy with a cb out of the box, if you buy one fixed up.

check you ebay. i bouthgt a cobra frome there im waiting got it to get here

The 25 I had wasnt a NightWatch. By the way, the Flying J there in Waco has some decent radios for a decent prices. Buckshot is right though, take that bad boy to a CB shop. You will never regret it! A peak and tune makes a HUGE difference.

Last edited:
BUCKSHOT said:
find you a cb shop and spend just a little more with one that is already tuned and peaked, maybe with talkback and a connex board. You will not ever be happy with a cb out of the box, if you buy one fixed up.

Agree 100% vs. buying a new stock unit. Trading CB's is an addiction for many truckers which leads to good bargains.

I have a geeked up Texas Ranger 969(?) which I can't brag about enough. I purchased it new from a reputable CB shop in TX and before it was shipped I had it "peaked, tweaked and turbo tuned" to the tune of swinging 50+ watts.

No complaints here.:Cheer:

CB

There is also a verticle mount that can be mounted to the floor of the truck either facing the seat, or if there is space between the seats your radio can be tucked in that space. As far as a antenna I have been there done that on tool box mounts,stake pocket mounts and can never get a good enough ground or even a decent SWR, I see some many trucks that have just put a antenna anywwhere and as long as they can hear something and talk 100 feet they just dont care. My self I have taken the drill to the roof and mounted a rooftop mounted antenna, and have excellent SWR's. Can pretty much talk to who I want to. I know its a big step, but you get what you pay for.....Personally my radio is a Ranger 2950dx. Fully converted.....Good Luck ....Steve

Mounting idear:
Mine is mounted on the front of the front seat, midde (Only really do-able with a bench seat, and frick only knows what the 07 looks like...) BUT, I took a 6" x 4" x 1" piece of scrap wood, covered it in sparkly pink fabric (Please, that is THE most important step), secured to pieces webbing to the rear, long enough to wrap around the seat and secure with two large pieces or velcro on each webbing piece.
Then, I wrapped it around the seat, secured the velcro, and screwed the mounting brackets for the CB onto the covered wood.
It's easy to move, and cute. Cute is important.

get one that has been peaked and tuned u wont be disappointed. I would also recommend talkback and connex board. I wish i done my sooner

I got a little ol' Cobra 19 that has been tweeked with a K40 whip. It works really good. The speaker in the radio sucks though, I need a good external speaker. We only use ours when we haul cattle so we can "smokey and bandit" the traffic in the city.

duke1n said:
CompD used to be the bomb until the invasion began. Now, every other thread is about hooking up my CB'er bullwhip antennas or how to make my dually mini trucker rig smoke like I forgot and left a rag in the intake. I can't stand dirty hippies or stupid redecks so adios nacos.
:hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

ya getting it peaked and tuned is first on the list my last one was peaked and tuned and i would never go back to a non peaked and tuned CB

My damn K40 got jacked yesterday!! Picked up a Wilson Little Wil at the Flying J this morning. Works pretty good! Where did you get your radio tuned Baylor5.9? We need to meet up like we talked about...

with my last radio i had a friend who was real into that stuff and worked at a shop and he tuned it for me but he has moved away and the shop closed down so i am trying to figure out where a place i could get mine tuned that is close. i am from dallas and know a place off of harry hines that is a good shop but don't want to make the drive back up to dallas just to tune it so i am trying to find a local place

here is mine. i took this pic after i put it in so it is kinda cluttered. i have a cobra 29 with 2 4 foot fire sticks (one dud) that are mounted to the toolbox. the coax is ran through the head liner with the air line for my air horns. this was easy for the most part just took down the front of the head liner.

Attachments

• 01-19-08_1404.jpg
    01-19-08_1404.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 29
Mine's mounted on the floor on top of my scanner right behind the gearshift. I've got a 5 foot whip mounted to the driver's side of my toolbox and a ground to the frame. My SWR is about 1.8 verified by a friend with the high dollar HAM testing equipment, so I'm not complaining. I'm talking about 15 miles consistently, with a bone stock radio. The plan is to get it peaked and tuned in the next couple weeks, and get a small linear with a pre-amp in the next year or so.

What SWR do you guys have with your setups? Where are your antenna(s) mounted? What kind of antenna(s) and coax are you running?