ccv mod

agamache

I have been wanting to do the ccv mod to my truck for awhile now and was wondering if it is better to spend the money for a kit or is it something i can do and not harm to the engine

The pros;
cleaner intake ducting, including intercooler and turbo
The cons;
you are allowing oily vapours from the crankcase to vent to the atmosphere.

If I can make a suggestion, end the hose further back than I did. I ended mine about mid cab and when idling and the breeze blowing the right way, I can smell the fumes in my cab when the windows are down.

Thank you, no concerns over the lack of vacuum?

Vacuum would mean a filter restriction of some sort. Its going to pull more from the 4" inlet in the filter than the 3/4 inch hole in the valve cover.

vacuum is a good thing. Keeps the crank seals from weeping. People don't realize that when you turn these trucks up the blowby increases, overwhelming the stock ccv and causing the crank seals to weep oil.

vacuum is a good thing. Keeps the crank seals from weeping. People don't realize that when you turn these trucks up the blowby increases, overwhelming the stock ccv and causing the crank seals to weep oil.

Thats sweat from all that HP.

I ran mine out to the rear of the truck after I wrote that How-To. I put a PCV type filter on it, but it's leaking like a siv now. I may go to one of those drainable type filters housings. It's amazing how much oil comes out of the crankcase. Makes me wonder how much oil is in the IC.

I also vented mine all the way to the rear bumper and points down at the ground. It smells horrible when you catch a good wiff!

has anyone ever tried running the CCV disconnect to the exhaust?

Like weld a bung or something near the bottom of the downpipe or so and run some braided hose to it and dump the blowby in with the exhaust and have it flow out that way? Or is it just too much work for the results?

I thought I remember reading about some people doing that. I think it has to be at a certain anlge for it to properly vacuum the blowby and not blow exhaust back up it.

I thought I remember reading about some people doing that. I think it has to be at a certain anlge for it to properly vacuum the blowby and not blow exhaust back up it.

When I envision it in my head I picture it coming in at something like a 45 or so to go with the flow of the exhaust so I never thought about it being different.

Guess I'll scratch that idea and just let it vent straight to the atmosphere instead.

jegs has a cheap kit with the angle figured out...just weld it on and hook a hose to it..

but truth be told the vacum is beneficial to the motor..tho oil in the intake plumbing is not... and its a primary emmissions device...just like my right foot/smoke generator...lol

Why can't you install an oil separator in line of the factory ccv. This would keep oil from entering the intake. I have installed this on a 5.4 lighting motor and it worked well. If a exhaust vent is installed be sure to use a one way valve. The intake would pull much better than the exhaust.

kranch were would u find an oil seperator to do this . it sound like a good idea

I looked at Jegs and they have a few. Here is a part number to look at
Steeda #957-555-3710 . I will probable find something larger for mine so I don't have to drain it as often. Also Lowes or your local paint supply store may have something to look at. Some have a spring loaded valve that only require you to push in order to drain. One with a more positive drain like a petcock may not leak over time.