ceramic coatings.....

triton

Scarlet Fever
on valves and pistons. I'm wondering if anyone has any info on how well it holds up or how beneficial it is.

I've heard it's a big benefit to reduce swelling and keep temps down and I've also heard that if you were to look at the coated surface after so many miles, you won't even know you had it.

For as little as it costs I'm doing it but, would like to hear more about it.

Also, if shaving the piston, would the addition of .010 of ceramic coating call for shaving .010 more off the piston to keep the same compression?

Last edited:
We use Swain Tech out of New York, They have fast turn around times and a decently priced.
They stand up very well to the extreme pressures and temps we are seeing.
http://www.swaintech.com

Last edited:
Distributor said:
We use Swain Tech out of New York, They have fast turn around times and a decently priced.
They stand up very well to the extreme pressures and temps we are seeing.
http://www.swaintech.com

That's who's doing mine also. Are you talking hours on a engine or miles ? How long did you have a coated piston in when it was removed ?

Thanks for the reply.

if im not mistaken distributor has a superstock international pulling tractor (2500+hp)

i have swain coatings (tcb domes and pc-9 skirts on the pistons. main and rod bearings also have a coating by swain but I cant rember what they called it but tis suposed to attract oil and act as a dry lubricant)
what made me decide they were worth it was seing the pistons out of the ghost (pulling truck) with 300+ hooks on the motor and 2000* egts and the pistons were all in good shape

Last edited:
yeah, I wasn't sure if he was talking about the tractor or a truck. I suppose it will hold up great since I doubt my truck will ever see what those pulling trucks do.

Is there a reason you didn't do the valves also ?

yeah cuz Brian Block told me there was no need to.

You would be better off just puting good valves in it like inconel the you wouldnt have to worry about heat, But if its seeing enough heat to burn a valve the head will have probably also already have cracked