Change software while motor is idling?

JasonCzerak

So a while back in my early smarty days I found that the smarty didn't complain if I started to program it while the motor was still idling.... I never let it complete, shut things down and started over. never to do that again.

But I just have to ask, can the first "long part" be done with the motor running? It needs key on/forward and it never complains that the motor is in fact running.

Why I ask is that say at a dyno, you can save the 3.5-5 minutes while you get the bulk of the programming done WHILE letting the motor idle back down to a nice 350 EGT or less. Normally, I would not shut the truck off at 500-ish and it takes 3 minutes to come down to under 400 after a hard run, so why not use that time changing your program, you can easily get a heck of alot more runs in if you didn't wait 10 minutes between software changes as apposed to 5. this will help folks out at the track too if the lines are short on T&T days.

When it asks to key off, well, shut the truck down and complete the rest of the steps.

its not recommended to program while the truck is running. always with key on, engine off period.

Back